B body handling story
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Pontimino
Tribal Scout

5 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2017 :  10:52:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In 1981 I bought a '65 Ventura coupe from a co-worker for $200. He owned it almost from new and put over 250K very careful miles on it. It didn't run well but I knew the timing chain was the reason. After the fix, it really accelerated well, I guess the compression was raised by perfect ring seating after all that time. No blowbye at all and the Cal. smog guy couldn't believe the mileage. Commuting home after work in Santa Clara's horrible rush hour, a Fiat 124 came roaring from a side street and cut in front of me while making the grave error of flipping me off at the same time. When he reached his next turnoff, I followed and planted myself not more than 5 feet from his bumper. No matter what he tried, taking big chances at every intersection, he couldn't gain an inch. His eyes were huge in his mirror and he was getting very anxious. After about a dozen turns, he blew the stop sign going onto a very busy Winchester Blvd. So did I and blew past him laughing all the way. The Fiat 124 has respectable handling but the guy was apparently ignorant of the Walt Hansgen road race test comparing the '65 2+2 against the Ferrari 2+2 at Binghampton Raceway. Geared right, the big boat would beat the Ferrari, in his opinion. The new suspension geometry of the '65's, carried over from the '64 "A" cars, allowed amazing handling. Walt stated that "Once it stopped leaning, it stuck like glue". R.I.P. Walt. By the way, my tires were worn out BFG T/A's and performed well on hot dry days. Pontiacs Rule.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: