New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

AlsCustomS
Tribal Scout

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2017 :  10:47:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Picked up All the parts for automatic floor shift for my car...
now need a floor shift steering column.
Is there a difference in the 4 speed and automatic columns ?
Thanks for your help, don't want to purchase the wrong one,
AL

What is the S, in Custom S ?

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5338 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2017 :  11:08:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You know i never thought about it. I can't see any reason why a 4spd wouldn't work, as a 4spd and an auto floor shift would have to rotate the steering column collar to trigger the nuetral safety switch and backup lights?

Or are those part of the floor shifter and the column collar rotation isn't needed? I'm not at home now or i'd go to the garage and check my 69/auto to see if the collar rotates when you shift. I don't recall there being a switch on the console shifter anywhere.

Googling i found this from Bear, who's a member here, posting on another forum:

"You are correct sir, and that switch you found on the column does indeed trigger the backup lights. It's sort of Rube Goldberg-ish, but the whole thing is driven from the back-drive / steering column lockout mechanism. There's a linkage from the transmission to the bottom of the steering column (or there's supposed to be). Moving the shifter moves the linkage and turns a mechanism on the column. If you pay attention you'll notice the collar on the column just behind the steering wheel turns when you move the shifter. That switch on the column is connected to that whole mechanism, and it controls not only the backup lights but also your ignition 'safety' that's supposed to allow the starter to engage only with the transmission is in Park or Neutral.
"
Go to Top of Page

Blued and Painted
Chief PONTIAC

USA
3409 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2017 :  8:29:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some of the aftermarket shifters have a provision for neutral safety and/or back up lights.

If so, the column shift lever and detent mechanism could be simply removed.

Bull Nose Formula/ 461/ Q-Jet/
TH400/ 3.08 8.5 / R44TS.
Go to Top of Page

AlsCustomS
Tribal Scout

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2017 :  11:20:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok that would be the arm sticking out at the bottom of the column for automatic then ?

Go to Top of Page

AlsCustomS
Tribal Scout

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2017 :  11:30:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://s1160.photobucket.com/user/als613AlsCustomS/media/1_zps11bkicun.jpg.html?o=1

http://s1160.photobucket.com/user/als613AlsCustomS/media/s-l1600_zpsn468ypaz.jpg.html?o=0

This is what I'm looking at, has the arm on bottom.

Go to Top of Page

Blued and Painted
Chief PONTIAC

USA
3409 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2017 :  11:54:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On a stick car there is a "back drive rod" coming up from the reverse lever of the trans to operate the back up light switch and or neutral safety. Or there may be a clutch pedal ignition lock out.
The column in the pic looks a little beat up.

Bull Nose Formula/ 461/ Q-Jet/
TH400/ 3.08 8.5 / R44TS.

Edited by - Blued and Painted on 19 Feb 2017 11:57:24 AM
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5338 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2017 :  10:10:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Blued has it, that's the ear that the shifter mech drives to rotate the collar on the column. The collar rotation tells it what gear you're in so it knows it can't start unless in N or P, and to kick on the reverse lights.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: