Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

AlsCustomS
Tribal Scout

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2017 :  11:36:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've just finished a total rebuild on my 8.2 , installed rear disc brakes,
Would it be bad practice to run stainless hose from the block on the pumpkin to the new calipers too eliminate a extra fitting that could leak, or will the hose expand to much during braking ?
Thanks,
AL

What is the S, in Custom S ?

67drake
Sitting Duck

Azerbaijan
1501 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2017 :  08:56:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rubber BRAKE HOSE shouldn't expand at all,otherwise our pedals would all go to the floor. I've never had a problem with having an "extra fitting" that could leak.
Just seems like an extra expense that might be a liability.
Could it be done? I dunno.

71' GTO Original 400 M20 3.23 posi
13.95@102.1 MPH on street tires
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5339 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2017 :  10:24:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If you're saying replace the hardlines from the T to the calipers (where the wheel cylinders were) i don't see an issue with that, as long as you secure them well. IIRC, the calipers will move some so you'll need flexible to some point there anyways.
Go to Top of Page

AlsCustomS
Tribal Scout

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2017 :  10:42:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, Sometimes over reading can be a curse, Flexible rubber line as it gets older breaks down and could "possibly" cause a expansion problem, (I'm in the middle of installing a hydroboost system),hence going to stainless for greater strength.
I figure on Tack welding some nice brackets on the axle instead of the old bend over the line style which break off.

Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5339 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2017 :  11:04:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Make sure that the calipers are the high point in the line...if you go over the "hump" to the drivers side, make sure that hump isn't higher than the caliper, or you may have trouble bleeding.
Go to Top of Page

67drake
Sitting Duck

Azerbaijan
1501 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2017 :  11:31:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AlsCustomS

Yes, Sometimes over reading can be a curse, Flexible rubber line as it gets older breaks down and could "possibly" cause a expansion problem, (I'm in the middle of installing a hydroboost system),hence going to stainless for greater strength.

I've never seen it,or heard of it-"expanding rubber brake lines",I've seem em' leak,though I'm not an expert. I don't think you have to worry about metal lines expanding,so why not go with that?
Just curious why you would need more strength in the brake lines if you are running a hydroboost?

71' GTO Original 400 M20 3.23 posi
13.95@102.1 MPH on street tires
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5339 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2017 :  12:02:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
He converted to rear disc with floating calipers...the standard drum brake hardlines won't let the caliper move. So he either needs shorter metal lines from the rear end T to a bracket and flexible lines from there. Or, just flexible lines from the T to the calipers.
Go to Top of Page

Blued and Painted
Chief PONTIAC

USA
3409 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2017 :  8:04:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Never seen a brake hose with a swivel fitting.
I don't know how much custom brake hoses that length would cost or of a custom brake hoses vendor.
A hose too line retaining bracket Should be purchases, salvaged, or fabricated then installed in a factory like manor. An S-10 comes to mind.
Check if any of the disc conversion vendors have what you need.

Bull Nose Formula/ 461/ Q-Jet/
TH400/ 3.08 8.5 / R44TS.

Edited by - Blued and Painted on 17 Feb 2017 8:12:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

AlsCustomS
Tribal Scout

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2017 :  09:43:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The stainless hose from the rear T fitting forward to the frame has a swivel female fitting, a male/female fitting coupling with nut makes a firm connection to frame, then hard line forward. I have the brackets for the axle housing from caliper hose, but before tacking anything on, just thinking a custom length banjo hose long enough to the tee with room to let the caliper move and be removed with no extra fittings would be trick.
just wondered if it might cause a problem.
Thanks for the help I think I will have some custom ones made, I have replaced front and rear suspension completely with new lowering springs, all tubuler suspension All new front end and all new braking system, every frame stiffening object I could find for a convertible. 87 SS el camino steering box 17" wheels with Bridgestone performance 2 summer tires. looking forward to ripping up the country roads ! The car came with a 75 crate 400 looks like 6x heads a holley 650 double pumper. no idea about the cam, but is running great except after hot it seems to be touchy on restart.

Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5339 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2017 :  09:46:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Could just be a worn out solenoid/starter on the hot restart. Could be too much timing, or weak ground/small power cables. But if you had a spare starter, and your initial timing isn't past, say, 13-14, i'd throw it on and see.
Go to Top of Page

AlsCustomS
Tribal Scout

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2017 :  11:07:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you,
Starter is maybe 5 years old but doesn't mean it's not bad of course,I will break out the timing light first.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: