Correct ring order?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

deez nuts
Buffalo

67 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2017 :  01:21:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am putting together a 461 stroker. Mahle pistons and mahle rings...
I know how to check/set the correct ring gap but I don't know the order. The oil ring (bottom) is obvious. But there's another 2 in the kit. One is black and one is more of a gray. Which one is the top ring (closest to head)? I think it's the gray one but I want to be sure before putting it together!

Blued and Painted
Chief PONTIAC

USA
3409 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2017 :  10:29:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There should be a very small T for top stamped near the end of the ring. The T would be installed up. The second compression ring will have a very small 2 or S stamped at the end of the ring. Any identifying mark would be turned upwards. Oil rings are not marked.
Assembled Ring gap clocking from top to bottom where wrist pin is at 9 and 3 . 10, 4, 8, 2

Once piston is assembled and ready to install. pour oil liberally over rings and side of piston. Oil the wrist pin. Oil cylinder bore.

Once the ring squeezer is installed and tightened, lightly tap the ring aria of the tool and tighten again.

The ring squeezer also has a top and bottom and must be installed correctly.

Bull Nose Formula/ 461/ Q-Jet/
TH400/ 3.08 8.5 / R44TS.

Edited by - Blued and Painted on 07 Jan 2017 10:44:29 AM
Go to Top of Page

deez nuts
Buffalo

67 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2017 :  11:09:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have looked closely multiple times and don't see any dots or markings differentiating one ring from another.

I can see the bevel and tell a difference there and have seen online diagrams for how they should be placed. Is it the same for all engines? Or would I need to find a diagram for Pontiacs with mahle rings
Go to Top of Page

deez nuts
Buffalo

67 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2017 :  11:22:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So I actually just got off the phone with CNC Motorsports and they helped me get squared away. What a great company. Their tech support is awesome and they actually beat summit on some prices.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: