New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

js292
Sitting Bull

USA
128 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2016 :  3:32:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So I guess I never did a build thread for my 71 Firebird I got back in 2010. So since I'm starting to work on it again, now would be a good time.

I picked the car up off eBay for $3500 in Arizona. It was a running driving car and pretty much what I was looking for, minus the 455 olds and automatic. That didn't bother me because the plan has always been to build a strong 455 for it and i learn a couple cars ago that it's a lot easy/motivating working on a running driving car.

Here's a few pic's from the day I picked the car up.

71 Formula 455

js292
Sitting Bull

USA
128 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2016 :  3:49:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I started with the interior because it was shoot.

Floor pans were decent with the exception of two spots that had to be patched.

71 Formula 455
Go to Top of Page

js292
Sitting Bull

USA
128 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2016 :  4:00:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After the pans were replaced they were sealed and painted, and sound proofing was laid down.

I had a fairly inexpensive upholstery job done on the seats and they came out decent.

Re-dyed all the plastic panels

Got some new door panels too, unfortunately the Arizona sun destroyed the dash.

71 Formula 455
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5335 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2016 :  4:08:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Were the two patched spots the rust spots on the floorboards behind the front seats there? If so, were they soft or something where you couldn't get away with removing the rust and sealing?

I ask because i'm bad at judging when a floor needs patched or replaced, or it's regular surface rust.
Go to Top of Page

js292
Sitting Bull

USA
128 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2016 :  4:14:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Little more interior work;

Seat belt cleaned and re-dyed

the rear package tray was shoot so I made a new one out of some tile board I had laying around.

The armrest were in really bad shape so I attempted to repair them.

I cut out some aluminum flat stock to try a flatten the warped panels.

Recovered, not bad for my first try at upholstery.

at the time these were not being reproduced and the only option was to install camaro armrest and that wasn't going to happen, but thankfully they are re-making them now so they will get replaced.

71 Formula 455
Go to Top of Page

js292
Sitting Bull

USA
128 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2016 :  4:44:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Picked up a used dash locally, had a small crack in it so I put one of those dash caps on it.

little clean up in the trunk area

before

after

it will require replacement at some point but the frame rails look solid.

71 Formula 455
Go to Top of Page

js292
Sitting Bull

USA
128 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2016 :  4:48:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As of today I have both the front and rear glass out to repair some rust damage and I'm getting ready to pull the front clip for refreshing. I have about 90% of the parts for the 473 build so I'm hoping after the 1st of the year to start the machining.

71 Formula 455
Go to Top of Page

GtoGuy32
Cochise

USA
842 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2016 :  10:36:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice score!

That's a damn nice car for $3500 and nice either way.

Looks like you are taking your time and making it nice. Great work and keep up posted on more progress

Go to Top of Page

js292
Sitting Bull

USA
128 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2016 :  08:28:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks you! I'm taking to much time though, and just buying parts here and there when I find a good deal.

In hindsight I shouldn't have done the interior first, but it was a learning process and I can do it better the second time. ;)

71 Formula 455

Edited by - js292 on 07 Dec 2016 08:32:28 AM
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Ye Olde Webmaster

844 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2016 :  09:27:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How did the dash cap installation go? I have not gotten to that on my stalled 79 TA project?
Did you have any fitment issues around the radio or the glove box. What adhesive did you use on top?

Bill

"Dedicated to keeping the classic Pontiac engine alive."

Go to Top of Page

js292
Sitting Bull

USA
128 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2016 :  12:21:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Admin

How did the dash cap installation go? I have not gotten to that on my stalled 79 TA project?
Did you have any fitment issues around the radio or the glove box. What adhesive did you use on top?

Bill

I haven't installed it in the car yet but there were no issues installing it to the dash nor did it interfere with the glove box door.It stops just short of the radio, if you look real close you'll be able to see there is about 3/16" that it exposes of the old dash between the dash cap and radio bezel. I have a single din radio so I'll have to make a bezel to cover that area.

It would have been more difficult to do in the car, although I've heard people have done it successfully. I just don't see how you can get it snugged up all the way around with everything still attached. The cap was supplied with a silicon adhesive, but I can't say how well that will hold up under 100* temps.

One thing to note on the cap is there are two different sizes that relate to the radio opening so measure twice order once ;), I found out the hard way(costly way).

71 Formula 455
Go to Top of Page

70 bird
Tribal Scout

19 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2017 :  6:36:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I used a dash cap from ames about 10 years ago on my 70. It worked out very good, some trimming was needed but this thing fools alot of people at car shows. lol.
Go to Top of Page

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7215 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2017 :  1:09:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice progress and that sure was a sweet deal for $3500.

Bowties are for Pee-wee Herman. "Chevy": even the name sounds cheap, but not as cheap as your Pontiac will be with an LS transplant.
Go to Top of Page

Dweld02
Tribal Scout

8 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2017 :  04:12:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great progress! I and my uncle are looking at a 1972 Firebird as next project. A work like this is so inspiring!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: