2.5" vs 3" with exhaust cutouts question
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Civilian
Tribal Scout

19 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2016 :  11:51:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm going to buy Electric exhaust cut outs from QuickTime performance. The collectors of my long tube manifolds are 2 1/2 inches, but will accept 2.25 inch to 3 inch. Currently, I have 3 inch pipes that are about 2 feet long. My question is, would you run a 3 inch exhaust all the way back, utilizing 3" cut outs, or would you go with a 2 1/2 inch since the collector is 2.5" anyway? Am I gaining anything by going with the 3 inch? Whatever I choose, 2.5 inch or 3 inch will then be continued all the way back as well.

Admin
Ye Olde Webmaster

848 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2016 :  9:40:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unless your engine is pushing 450 hp or better, there is no loss using 2.50" exhaust pipes.

"Dedicated to keeping the classic Pontiac engine alive."

Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5338 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2016 :  10:01:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Make sure they're not the ones with the plastic gears in the housing...Bear ran into that here, the gears melted.
Go to Top of Page

Civilian
Tribal Scout

19 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2016 :  12:56:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The car should be right around 500 hp at the crank. I won't be racing it or anything, just want to be able to scare the hell out of people. Do either of those facts change your answer at all? Am I going to see enough sound/performance increase with the 3 inch to make it worthwhile? I will definitely have to cut reliefs in the transmission crossmember for the 3 inch, possibly the 2.5 inch as well.
Go to Top of Page

frankie
Buffalo

USA
62 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2016 :  2:34:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IMO I would go with 3 inch as the sound is fantastic and check out this site about the different in horsepower and torque. MOTOR TREND The Power of 2.5/ vs. 3-Inch Exhaust /Engine Masters Ep. 9 it sounds like you have what I may have in my car, 400 stroked

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=you+tube+3in+vs+2+1%2f2+exhaust&view=detail&mid=BFC55330036CB8B30A1BBFC55330036CB8B30A1B&FORM=VIRE
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: