Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

frankie
Buffalo

USA
62 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2016 :  4:40:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay guys and gals,
I know someone has a issue with there brakes due to low Vacuum and has solved the hard pedal.
I am looking at Hydroboost from a donor car. Save me some time and let me know what u are using.

Thanks
Frankie

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5335 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2016 :  12:44:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I did a hidden vacuum pump + can + vacuum switch. But, i had brakes like 2 good stops in a row but was slow to replenish for the third or whatnot. It was more to "shore up" the system.

I'd recommend a properly setup and tested hydroboost system over that. If not using an aftermarket kit, i think the goto is something from an astro van?
Go to Top of Page

frankie
Buffalo

USA
62 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2016 :  3:50:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the Astro is the answer for me, I need to get to the wrecking yard , they have a few Astro 1995. Just need to remove it for $22. and grab as much of the plumbing to the power steering pump. i am thinking a couple of days and less than $100. I am such a cheap bastard!!lol
Go to Top of Page

frankie
Buffalo

USA
62 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2016 :  8:31:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i am on it.
I got a hydroboost from a 95 Astro for $29. now i need to plumb it to the steering pump.
The new search is the plumbing , i could not use the Astro's because they be too short.
Go to Top of Page

Blued and Painted
Chief PONTIAC

USA
3406 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2016 :  11:30:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Guessing the return is the easy part. Using real P/S return hose from the hose shop, T the returns together then back to the pump. Be sure to get the matching brake light switch and connecting clevis pin or bolt. Should not be to hard to adapt the push rod to the pedal.

I've worked around hydroboost systems but never installed one from scratch.

Keep us posted.

Bull Nose Formula/ 461/ Q-Jet/
TH400/ 3.08 8.5 / R44TS.

Edited by - Blued and Painted on 22 Nov 2016 11:36:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5335 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2016 :  12:01:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I believe there are power steering pumps with dual pressure outlets for just this purpose? I came across them when looking for a specific pump for the project i'm working on now.

This one has 2 returns:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/291813791971?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

I wonder if pressure line just goes to hydroboost then out steering, and each has it's own return vs having two separate pressure outlets from the pump?
Go to Top of Page

frankie
Buffalo

USA
62 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2016 :  1:36:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thank you Blue and Cort , it is fun to workout a project together.
BTW check out my ministry i was the leader for two years. www.Autoangels.org
Go to Top of Page

frankie
Buffalo

USA
62 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2016 :  8:39:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Thank you I noticed that pump too. if my first and only steering pump in a 1969 does not last with the Hydroboost, I will get that one.
I can tell you all that goes to a yard , take every thing u can , I did not think I needed the original lines from the Astro Van, So, I had to make another trip today for the lines. still not sure if they will be used but I need the ends to order up new braided lines. I hope you all forgive me for adding a Chevy part.
Go to Top of Page

frankie
Buffalo

USA
62 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2017 :  8:27:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gotter done with a used '95 Astro hydro booster.. got _AN6 lines from summit and plumb it.. now I can lock up my tires..
all done under $100
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: