New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pontiacpower
Tribal Scout

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2016 :  3:37:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello psp forum . Ive got a 71 lemans with a 350/350 and a 2,88 open rear. I just started a 461 stroker kit build that im getting from butler. this will be an e85 engine that i will be strictly on the street with. guy on bangshift sold me on the idea because im in southeastern michigan an e85 is easier to find in this part of the country. i plan on putting an overdrive in the car, maybe 4l60e or 700r4. I will do a manual swap if i can come by a decently priced tranny. Rear end might keep those gears for good highway cruising but it will get posi. what do you guys think? Any e85 users out there?

so far i have the block and pistons, but my question to you guys is are there a lot of you running the stroker kits? if so are you using stock main caps? butler reccomends new everything but id like to hear from someone who isnt selling me something. Im not made of money but i would like to do this build once.

Michael Tinskey

rkellerjr
Many Feathers

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2016 :  9:29:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome, welcome

Rich
1975 TA - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aR86YT69yeY
Go to Top of Page

pontiacpower
Tribal Scout

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2016 :  01:42:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thank you i found this forum over on bangshift so i figured id give it a try

Michael Tinskey
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5338 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2016 :  11:55:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What power levels you looking for? If you want stick and overdrive, once you get past that like 400-450 HP (or even worse, torque), and sticky tires AND you beat on it, you get real limited real fast on overdrive trans choices.

I ran an NP440 in my 71, it was about 430hp/500 ft lbs of torque. I had some fun, but i wasn't racing it, and i had nitto 555 street tires. Also, keep in mind, you'll need to change that rear. Depending on cam and preferences, probably a 3.42 - 3.73 if you're going with overdrive.
Go to Top of Page

pontiacpower
Tribal Scout

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2016 :  02:52:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have looked up 461 pontiac dyno numbers and almost all of them are north of 550 550. i did look at some tremecs but they are a couple thousand for one and i dont know if that will handle the power anyways. i Havent spent too much time pondering what to do to the rear, i was thinking anywhere from the 2.88 in it to a 3.42. I guess whatever i come accross first. I plan on using a mild cam maybe a little over mild. nothing to roudy. what is wrong with a 2.88 rear? also, what are the pros and cons of BOP and chevy rear ends? which one is better? etc thank you for your posts gentleman.

Michael Tinskey
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5338 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2016 :  10:21:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
2.88 rear + Overdrive means the rpms will be crazy low cruising, your advance won't be in for efficiency, the motor won't be in the powerband unless you built it to be idle-5k.

The cam, trans, and gears all need to match for whatever setup you're building.

There are several model BOP and chevy rears. But, in general, chevy rears more avail, more parts avail, cheaper to build, and use clutch type posi and c clip retention. BOP generally more expensive and rarer parts depending on the axle, used bolt in axle retention, cone type posi.
Go to Top of Page

Brian R
Crazy Horse

USA
1672 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2016 :  10:58:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am running a 461 in my 71 Lemans.

Turbo 400 tranny, 3:55 rear. Without overdrive, the 3:55 is terrible on the highway - 3800 to 4000 rpm at 75 mph. It is great out of the hole though, can spin through all 3 gears. If my rear goes before the tranny, I will surely go 3:23's. With all the torque you are going to have, it is a nice gear. It will still spin away and traction will still be your issue but you will run at lower RPM on the highway. Not sure what your RPM will be with 3:23's and an overdrive but I am sure that it would make for a nice all around cruiser on highway and still a tire killer out of the hole.

The main caps - mine are stock as I though almost everyone was using. Have them mag'd and go for it.
Go to Top of Page

pontiacpower
Tribal Scout

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2016 :  04:32:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
awesome..... that sounds like a killer setup. I know the turbo 400s are bulletproof (or as close to it as trannies go) but i really want to have the OD. Have you had your motor dynoed? what heads are you running? fuel? quarter mile times? just curious what your setup is so i know what to expect from this car with a torque monster under the hood. as for main caps..... the only people i really get to ask questions about the build with is butlers and naturally they say i have to get 4 bolt mains and everything forged and get the 3000 dollar eddy heads and top of the line this and that. and im thinking holy S***.........some people have too much money!!!

Michael Tinskey
Go to Top of Page

Brian R
Crazy Horse

USA
1672 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2016 :  10:42:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I never had it dyno'd or made it to the track to find my 1/4 times out.

* 1973 400 Block
* Factory main caps
* Edelbrock Heads - mild port work
* Quadrajet from Cliff Ruggles
* Ram Air Restorations (RARE) RA Exhaust Manifolds
* Edelbrock Performer Intake - plan to replace with an RPM
* Forged Pistons - can't remember which ones right now
* Forged Rods
* Comp Cams XE274 Cam - good performance but to noisy for my taste
* Ohio Crankshaft Stroker Crank - would probably go with Eagle if I were to do it again

Issues: I was so paranoid about detonation after running 400's with to much compression that I dished the pistons down so I only have 9.3:1 compression. With the aluminum heads, I should have gone with 10:1.

By the numbers, I am told I should be pushing 500 hp, probably around 480 to 490, and well over 500 for torque.

I went with aluminum heads because, even with the port work, they only cost apx $450.00 more than it would have to have my 6x4 iron heads done up. (apx 3 1/2 years ago prices) That said, the aluminum heads flow much better and can take a lot more compression on pump gas.

I can say that this is a heavy car as it's a convertible and the damned thing smokes them. I have recently driven a 2006 Vette, faster than my car overall with 6 gears and lots of power, but out of the hole, my Lemans feels a lot better. Seat of the pants carbureted punch. I love the Vette, but boy does it make me appreciate carburators and old iron. The hair-trigger instant response and sound of a carb is unbeatable to me....
Go to Top of Page

pontiacpower
Tribal Scout

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2016 :  11:13:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sounds like one badass car. If you had a 6 speed in your lemans do you think you would keep up with a vette? our setup will be pretty similar with a 5 or a 6 speed? I keep looking up dynos for these strokers and i have not seen many numbers less than 500 tq or hp so that is a plus. I imagine the heads play a large part in that.
-1972 400 block
-probably factory main caps
-e heads-maybe KRE's if the flow is just as good. Maybe 1968 62 bare castings a friend offered me for $350. DO you know if this is a reasonable price?
-Qjet guy up north said he would build it to run E85. dont know how much that will cost me.
-stock intake (72) i believe
-I believe my longtube headers were manufactured by a company called JR? i will look this up and correct if im wrong
-forged flat tops
-forged rods
-forged eagle crank

what are you using for spark? i intend to use a stock HEI distributor with like a mr gasket upgraded spring and weight kit.

Michael Tinskey
Go to Top of Page

Brian R
Crazy Horse

USA
1672 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2016 :  11:52:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, but not that badass....

The Vette should blow me off do to having great traction for low end and a lot more gear. I do know with my old 400 several years back, against a late 90's vette, from about 30 mph to 100, I did crush him, then I ran out of gear and he smiled a respectful smile as he went by.....

The distrib is a factory style HEI that I had Bill Boyle (site owner) re-curve for me. He is a great guy so consider him when the time comes. You can not beat them for reliability and for street use, any aftermarket box and distrib is overkill in my book - sorry guys....
Go to Top of Page

pontiacpower
Tribal Scout

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2016 :  02:09:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a shame. Not the biggest fan of the corvette. I will talk to the site owner about an hei for my 461 when the time comes. I will probably use the one on my 350 right now but I could have him fine tune it

Michael Tinskey
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.25 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: