New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Admin
Ye Olde Webmaster

844 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2016 :  4:42:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With the newly elected female president we can anticipate the following:

Russia will invade Ukraine and NATO led by the US will just watch.

Syria will commit more atrocities against its people and the world will talk and take no action.

ISIS will expand its terrorism to North America killing innocent people in Canada and the US. Innocent people in Europe will not be safe and travel to these countries will be very risky.

Iran will speed up its effort to become a nuclear power and will continue to expand its roll in supporting terrorist activities and continue to fire missiles at US Naval vessels. Our response will be to avoid confronting them.

Thousand of immigrants will migrate to the US through Texas, Arizona and California.

Millions of dollars will be spent on housing immigrants and spending will press local communities.

Crime will slowing increase in metropolitan areas. Law enforcement will be adversely effected as attempt to prevent crime and respond to crime will lead to more protests and crime committed against businesses and other property.

The economy will not grow and the employed will lose their jobs because taxes and other penalties and regulations will thwart production.

The 2nd Amendment will be adversely effected through numerous executive orders that will make it more and more difficult for Americans to own and purchase guns, accessories and supplies. Owning a gun will be considered taboo. The right of self protection will be assaulted by the courts.

Three (3) Supreme Court Justice are likely to step down from the Court. Replacements approved by the Democratic held Senate will give the A-OK to progressive leaning jurists that will sit on the Court and who will write new laws through their opinions rather than interpret laws within the context of our US Constitution. Government will continue to intrude into our lives diminishing our current freedom and free-choice.

Our military will be down-sized. Materiel and equipment will not fair well, and personnel will not re-enlist.

The problems facing the Veterans Administration will go unsolved. Veterans will not receive timely treatment and medical benefits will change leaving Veterans free to get their health care exclusively through Obamacare.

The cost of energy for our homes will increase steadily as coal burning plants are slowly put out of business. Mining coal will become an ancient practice.

Solar energy will be pushed and pushed. Brown outs and blackouts may become a way of life.

PC will continue to evolve. Historical figures from our country's early days will be condemned as being Un-American. Names like Franklin, Jefferson, Hamilton, Jackson, Adams, Madison will lose ground in history. Civil War heroes will be fewer. History will be rewritten and the likes of Lee and other Confederate soldiers will be left out of school books.

Ghettos will continue to grow in all American cities. Homeless folks will be everywhere.

There will be no free college.

Social Security will be revised. People will work until age 70.

The IRS will flourish and increased taxes on the middle class will hit hard.

The deficit will surpass 21 trillion dollars.

"Dedicated to keeping the classic Pontiac engine alive."

clintww
Cochise

USA
582 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2016 :  8:20:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So what's the downside? Not funny, I know. I believe all that you stated is true. I would add the opposition party will be destroyed at least for a few years, and I doubt will be able to build an effective campaign in four years to challenge.
It also appears the republicans may lose the house which would remove any opposition to Hillary.
Go to Top of Page

Blued and Painted
Chief PONTIAC

USA
3405 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2016 :  8:30:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Admin
(3) Supreme Court Justice are likely to step down from the Court. Replacements approved by the Democratic held Senate will give the A-OK to progressive leaning jurists

A republican senate will do the same because many are republicans in name only or have no back bone.

Bull Nose Formula/ 461/ Q-Jet/
TH400/ 3.08 8.5 / R44TS.

Edited by - Blued and Painted on 18 Oct 2016 8:32:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

loosetappet
Sitting Bull

113 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2016 :  11:43:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"If voting really changed anything they would make it illegal".
Everybody needs to calm down. Changing the figurehead at the top doesn't make a whole lot of difference in this country. 4 years from now we will all be wondering what the big deal was about this election.
Life will go on, the world will still have too many crazy people, but the republic will survive.
Go to Top of Page

Merrik66
Cochise

USA
370 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2016 :  01:30:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ye old webmaster. I had shared the same concerns. its good to read others input on this. For those..like myself...living in the state of Washington its fairly safe to say I feel like lonely chirping cricket in the land of hungry liberal lizards with no interest in self reliance. If I speak out I'm the pariah so I do as usual...work and take care of my son. I hope to teach him the "old" ways...not carry on too much about it until he's firmly solid. He needs friends.
Go to Top of Page

Cobrabill
Talking Dog

Aruba
3128 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2016 :  6:10:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loosetappet

"If voting really changed anything they would make it illegal".
Everybody needs to calm down. Changing the figurehead at the top doesn't make a whole lot of difference in this country. 4 years from now we will all be wondering what the big deal was about this election.
Life will go on, the world will still have too many crazy people, but the republic will survive.

Really? Trump already has accomplished
more in 29 days than Ofrauda has done in 8 years

Go to Top of Page

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7215 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2016 :  12:29:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Market is headed for 20k! Could be Trump, or could be going up as Obamas remaining days dwindle.

Bowties are for Pee-wee Herman. "Chevy": even the name sounds cheap, but not as cheap as your Pontiac will be with an LS transplant.
Go to Top of Page

rkellerjr
Many Feathers

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2016 :  07:11:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ya, but, the market does not reflect main street.

Rich
1975 TA - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aR86YT69yeY
Go to Top of Page

NOTROD
Buffalo

USA
64 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2016 :  11:18:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rkellerjr

Ya, but, the market does not reflect main street.

Agree.

That being said, I'm glad Hillary lost. Not necessarily glad that Trump won, just glad that Hillary lost.

Edited by - NOTROD on 25 Dec 2016 11:21:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7215 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2016 :  2:50:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It affects Main Street if people who live there are in the habit of saving some money.

Bowties are for Pee-wee Herman. "Chevy": even the name sounds cheap, but not as cheap as your Pontiac will be with an LS transplant.
Go to Top of Page

Blued and Painted
Chief PONTIAC

USA
3405 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2016 :  9:35:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another 3 weeks for obama to take a wrecking ball to this country and out allies.

TH400/ 3.08 8.5 / R44TS.
Go to Top of Page

NOTROD
Buffalo

USA
64 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2016 :  11:37:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Phil

It affects Main Street if people who live there are in the habit of saving some money.

These days it's not about being in the habit of saving money, it's about having the ability to.

I wouldn't be surprised to find that a majority of the members on this forum have owned their cars for years. Hell, most of them were probably bought new. So if someone my age wants to be a part of this hobby they have to spend, spend, spend.

I'm 46 and I've had my car for 3 years. It was a POS when I brought it home and I spent 3 times what it would have cost to buy it new in 1971, just to get to about 80% and still had to do all the work myself.

The sad part is that by today's standards I make a decent living, but after the necessities are paid I have a choice to make. Save or try to get some enjoyment out of life.
I choose to live.

Now, if a large portion of my income wasn't taken from me through taxation and given to someone else I could easily do both.

Concerning Wall Street...why would I willing give my money away for someone else's benefit when I already do that by force? (see previous paragraph)
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5335 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2016 :  12:15:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We all love to complain about taxes, but without them there'd be no roads for my cars, gas quality would vary wildly station to station, and that all doesn't matter because society would collapse.

But yes, expensive to get into the hobby with any kind of quality vehicle, or work. The lemans clone chevy transplants with nothing correct or quality can be had cheap, for sure. But, anything done "right" or "correctly" or matching is still pricey. Good for the seller, bad for the buyer for sure.
Go to Top of Page

NOTROD
Buffalo

USA
64 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2016 :  3:26:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cortcomp

We all love to complain about taxes, but without them there'd be no roads for my cars, gas quality would vary wildly station to station, and that all doesn't matter because society would collapse.

But yes, expensive to get into the hobby with any kind of quality vehicle, or work. The lemans clone chevy transplants with nothing correct or quality can be had cheap, for sure. But, anything done "right" or "correctly" or matching is still pricey. Good for the seller, bad for the buyer for sure.

Every time I get into a conversation with someone about taxes their first rebuttal is roads. It never fails. I'm talking about all the other stuff that I most likely will never benefit from. The list is too large to even try. By the way, have you driven on a road in the Midwest lately? Where are my road taxes going? Lol

You're right about fuel consistency though...it's all crap. Unless of course you want to pay double to triple the amount per gallon. Even then it's questionable.

I agree that SOME things in society would collapse with less taxes. And they should. If a person doesn't benefit from it they shouldn't have to pay for it. Pretty simple.

What is cheap? I don't think I could have bought a decent LeMans, even with a chevy engine, for less than I have in my car right now, nor would I want one. I suspect your idea of cheap is quite different than mine.

It sounds like we're living in two different economies. Yours involves lots of taxes for things you like or benefit from, and mine involves paying for it. Along with trying to eek out a living for me and my family.
Go to Top of Page

Blued and Painted
Chief PONTIAC

USA
3405 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2016 :  6:10:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Roads.
There is a pare of tunnels (east and west)on I-70 between Denver and my house. It took two years to widen the tunnels from 2 to 3 lanes in each direction. So i dealt with detours and delays for two years.
So now the 3rd lane is a toll lane AND is only open during peak ski travel hours on Weekends. During normal rush hours on week days, no 3rd lane..
I would think Federal funds payed for most of the Interstate construction. Yet the state of Colorado decides when and who will use the 3rd lane.

TH400/ 3.08 8.5 / R44TS.

Edited by - Blued and Painted on 28 Dec 2016 6:13:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5335 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2016 :  10:37:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
"It sounds like we're living in two different economies. Yours involves lots of taxes for things you like or benefit from, and mine involves paying for it."

Are you saying i'm not paying for those things but others somehow are? Because i work for myself/own a business, I pay them TWICE as much as the normal person. And i'm still about paying taxes for things that benefit society, even if not me directly. Like, i didn't have a kid but i still voted for the school levy, because i like educated people around. Or, maternity health programs even though i'm not a woman. Fire and police even though i may not need them. Now, do i feel it's all distributed how i would like? Of course not, but that's life i guess.

By cheap on the cars, i mean 10-12K for a 68-72 A-body.
Go to Top of Page

67drake
Sitting Duck

Azerbaijan
1501 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2016 :  08:55:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[/quote]

These days it's not about being in the habit of saving money, it's about having the ability to.

[/quote]

I hear ya!
A few years back I had to stop kicking $ into my 401K because I just couldn't make ends meet anymore. I was in fear of losing my house. I had to put retirement and savings on hold. We've toughed it out,and made it OK (so far).
I remember 10-20 years ago how blessed I felt for being paid what I made,I felt spoiled,really But..UM...I worked my ass off for that!. I lived comfortably and still stashed $ away in my retirement and savings. Those days are gone.
I hope it changes in the next 4 years!

71' GTO Original 400 M20 3.23 posi
13.95@102.1 MPH on street tires

Edited by - 67drake on 29 Dec 2016 09:00:21 AM
Go to Top of Page

NOTROD
Buffalo

USA
64 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2016 :  1:26:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cortcomp,
I never said you weren't paying. What I did say was that having to pay for things (through taxation) that other people want, is preventing me from being able to pay for the things that I want. My retirement, my kids college, reducing my own debt, etc. For example, my oldest son started college this year and gets no help from the government to pay for it, other than loans, because we make too much money. At the same time we don't make enough to be able to pay it for him, but do help as much as we can. A lot of his friends are getting grants to cover their's completely. I'm not opposed to helping the less fortunate, but when I am forced to do so at a level that hinders my ability to afford those same things for my own family, then I have a problem with it. Hell, I'm still trying paying off my own student loans.

We don't live an extravagant lifestyle by any means. We bought the closest thing we've ever had to a new car about 3 years ago. A one year old 2012 Durango. We sold it this summer to pay off some things and free up some cash to help the boy pay for school. The wife now drives my 2006 and I'm back to driving a 2001/150K mile road warrior. Lol
I also have a freshman in high school, so there's no end in site. Man do I love those boys, they've been great kids.

In my world 10-12K for a hobby car is not cheap. If you don't have kids that might explain why you think it is cheap.
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5335 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2016 :  1:59:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have a kid now, i just didn't mind paying for others when i didn't have them. I don't make near as much as the average person my age (35 yrs), i just decide to spend it differently. I never finished college after starting working for myself, paid off my loans, and never looked back. I don't care for a fancy house, pool, 5K TV+theater system, etc. My wife makes decent money and that's the only reason i don't live in a warehouse with car lifts honestly. Also, i'm handy at planning and paperwork and projects. All of those things go well with accumulating, collecting, trading, selling, buying old cars than just making money does.

As far as preventing you from being able to pay for the things you want, i get it. However, i also get that someone else can't just take the things i have from me because i AM paying those taxes for things that i think i don't want. What is the saying, democracy is the tyranny of the masses? That's the US for sure. However, better than living in say, mexico, where you get the car of your dreams running and restored, and a local official seizes it. I'm not happy with a lot that happens here, but i feel it's better than most places.

TBH, i considered moving to australia once, and their taxes are out of line. Good social services all over though.

10-12k for a hobby car is cheap when you account for inflation, and that the quality of car that is considered "acceptable" now is way different due to so much aftermarket support. I don't know your age, but i consider myself fairly young, and to hear people complain about how you used to get a nice GTO for 5K in the 80's and this is unreal, etc. Well, i was born in 81, 10K now was 3600 then. I guess a dollar doesn't mean as much to me, but i feel people that have been around longer than me LOVE to dream about "the old days" prices. but, dollar for dollar i think you can get more now. And if something isn't perfect, it's cheaper to make it perfect.

Go to Top of Page

NOTROD
Buffalo

USA
64 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2016 :  5:14:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The guy I work with everyday is the same age as you. He used to say the same things I'm hearing from you. He had his first kid five years ago. After his second was born, about two years ago, his world view did a 180. Not sure why, but it did.

Glad to hear your'e a dad now. How old? Boy or girl? I always tell people who are about to have their first child, "get ready to experience the best AND the worst that life has to offer"
You've probably realized this already. Lol

I'm 46 so you won't hear me refer to "the good old days" or anything like that in any serious way, because I don't recall living through any. Call it complaining if you want, but it's the truth. Unfortunately I think quite a few folks my age haven't been able to hang in as well as I have. People of all ages really.

Anyway, my point from the beginning has been that I don't like being forced to pay for programs that I don't benefit from directly and then have to get those things for myself.
Go to Top of Page

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7215 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2016 :  11:56:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know too many people who are unable to save money yet I see them able to buy cigarettes, beer, flatscreen TVs in most of the rooms in their houses and other non-necessities of life. It doesn't even take a trained eye to connect those dots.

The economy of the 1970s was just awful, my parents struggled and we had very little yet somehow they were able to give us 3 kids a nice Christmas each year, save a little money and we even went on an occasional family trip.

As far as "Wall Street" goes, I don't consider saving money in a bank savings account prudent other than having an emergency/rainy day fund. The stock market has always been one of the best ways to grow your money. But it's not for the dimwitted or impatient. Historically it keeps chugging up that mountain (ignoring short term setbacks). Things like mutual funds such as those from Vanguard are structurally sound, have low fees and make it stupidly easy and "automatic" to save via "dollar cost averaging".

It's really a crime that schools aren't teaching our kids how to manage and save money because many Parents are clueless and don't want to learn, preferring to stick to their bitching about (some perceived/some legitimate) whatever hype they choose to use as their excuse for not having something to show for their hard work.

Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5335 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2016 :  1:51:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Phil,

Solid points. I for sure have realized since my 20's that if you want something, you have to sacrifice something else for it. I stopped going out and partying as much, started saving more, and working harder. Now i have quite a few toys. People assume i make a ton of cash. I don't really, i just don't smoke, don't eat or go out a lot, don't pay for things i don't feel i need, don't have a giant house, don't save as much as i really should now, don't have video game consoles (other than my home pc which pays for itself with work.)

Now, if you have all those things and can save and have tons of toys? That my friends is the dream. (And if you're cobra, you can do all that, and go to aruba, and still be grumpy on the internet ;)
Go to Top of Page

NOTROD
Buffalo

USA
64 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2016 :  7:42:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah Phil...like people just recently started spending money on all those things you mentioned. The boomers indulged on all those things and more and still have fat pensions and retirement accounts. How?

The stock market continues to grow because of heavy meddling from the fed. Left alone it would have crashed 8 years ago. Oh wait...it did. Thank goodness we have a lot of smart people in Washington that found a way to bail out all the savvy stock market people.

The state employees pension fund where I live basically evaporated during that time and within a year my property taxes increased over 30%. Weird, huh? Another fine example of having to help pay for something for someone else and it's limiting my ability to get that very same thing for myself.

You are correct about kids being taught the importance of saving and managing money, mine have been. They have also been taught to recognize when someone is trying to pull rug out from under them. Now whether they have anything in the future to save or manage remains to be seen.
Go to Top of Page

Blued and Painted
Chief PONTIAC

USA
3405 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2017 :  12:20:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I dont think "Grumpy" quite covers it.

TH400/ 3.08 8.5 / R44TS.
Go to Top of Page

Blued and Painted
Chief PONTIAC

USA
3405 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2017 :  12:17:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bill O'Reily said the thugs in Chicago were carrying "Glocks"

So i went out a bought a special edition Vickers Glock 19. 15+1 rounds of 9mm.

These anti 2nd amendment zealots will never learn.. The more you infringe on the constitution, the more push pack there will be from law abiding citizens.

In force the laws already on the books. Put criminals in jail and leave them there.

Building more jails sounds like a good stimulus program.

TH400/ 3.08 8.5 / R44TS.

Edited by - Blued and Painted on 07 Jan 2017 12:53:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

NOTROD
Buffalo

USA
64 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2017 :  12:31:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The concept of push back/back lash is lost on a lot of people. They believe since "their guy" won they can do, say, or have anything they want and then get all butthurt when the "other guy" wins and wants to take it away. All the while disregarding what our Constitution allows. They accomplish this through "creative interpretation" and both major parties are guilty of it and have been for years. Meanwhile, the true majority in this country gets to continue riding the roller coaster.

Cool looking gun. I plan to get one eventually, but I would like to have revolver of some kind.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.31 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: