Chief Pontiac Wizard
Tribal Scout

2 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2016 :  08:27:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,
I am currently working on updating my 1961 Pontiac Cat Safari
station wagon.
Is there a wiring diagram available to convert from the generator
to an alternator (alt has internal regulator).
Thanks in advance for any help.
Chief Pontiac Wizard

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5335 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2016 :  09:52:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I doubt anyone here has a direct diagram. Generally, the large wire goes to the single lug (power out from the alt.) The two pins, one i believe is battery voltage sensing. You can jump it right to that large lug like some hot rodders, but i've read the proper way is to get it to the positive post on the battery or at the fusebox so it's sensing "true" voltage the system is getting AFTER the drop in the system.

The 2nd wire on the two prong is for the GEN/ALT light. IF I RECALL, and i may be wrong, the light in the dash has power all the time, and when the key shuts off, or the alternator is failing, that pin starts to ground out and lets the light in the dash start to glow.

That's what i recall, i'd just google generator to alt conversion and you can read the finer points. To just "get down the road" though, one pin to the bug lug, big wire to the big lug, done.

OK i googled, link below, left diagram.

No real field and arm connections like a generator.

Go to Top of Page

Blued and Painted
Chief PONTIAC

USA
3405 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2016 :  10:08:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Generators are before my time but it doesn't take much to run the IR alternator.
You need a heavy gauge wire from post on alternator to battery or fuse link junction. Some times at starter post.
Purchase a replacement pig tail from parts store for the plug on the alternator.
The red wire from plug jumps to the hot post on back of alternator.
The brown wire (agitator wire) goes to the idiot lite on dash if equipped. This is where you may need the diagram so to find the correct wire off the regulator to complete the light circuit.
The in series amp gauge set up is problematic. I would replace it with an easy install, parallel circuit volt gauge.

Bull Nose Formula/ 461/ Q-Jet/
TH400/ 3.08 8.5 / R44TS.
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5335 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2016 :  11:30:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Def go volt gauge, no need to run the whole cars load through one gauge go get a reading. I do know on my 66 truck, the amp gauge just touched the pos side of the battery and like pos side of the alternator, and read the difference between them, without running the entire load through the gauge like the ammeter in my 50 packard does.

volt gauge safer, and likely what most people want to see anyways.
Go to Top of Page

Chief Pontiac Wizard
Tribal Scout

2 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2016 :  09:21:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the picture diagram and info
expect to complete install today
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: