'68 Bird Bracket Car For Sale or Trade
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Tub
Sitting Bull

172 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2016 :  11:31:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven't been able to come up with the finances to race this car on a regular basis. So, I'm gonna sell it (or trade), and rig up a street/strip car I can drive everyday.

This car has no title & is for racing only. The body is not clean, by street standards, but adequate for local bracket racing. I built it as a sort of "nostalgia bracket racer", to look very similar to the 1st gens my wife raced back in the '70's & 80's, complete with "hot rod black" paint, lettering, and racing decals.

It has a glass hood with an old style flat top snorkle scoop. Has "Bird Glass" in both doors. The body had some rust, so some of the floor & trunk pan was replaced with sheet metal. It has 6-point roll bars, frame connectors & slapper bars, new master & front brake cylinders, new fuel cell, two fresh 800cca 34/78 dual terminal batts, shift light tach, drag seat & belts.

In the engine compartment is a cheap alum rad, forged rod 455/6x-8 heads, 292 Comp cam/Rhoads lifters, 1.52 CC roller tip rockers, Torker 2, 750 vac Holley, HEI with DUI cap/coil & MSD rev limiter module, RobbMc 1100hp fuel pump, Flowkooler water pump, flex fan, no shroud, new Summit mini starter, 3-tube headers with collector extensions, manual steering, no alt.

Bolted to the engine is a built TH400/10" converter/B&M ratchet shifter. Has a new PST driveshaft, a 12-bolt rear with 4.10 gears & a mini-spool, 4 old style solid center Centerline wheels, with small tires on the front and good 10.8" Phoenix slicks on the rear. Has 1/2" alum fuel line from cell to the front pump.

Haven't been able to take it to the track yet, but it should run easy mid 7's or a bit quicker, on our local 1/8 mile track. That should be high 11's on a 1/4 mile track. It's just a footbraker (no tranny brake), but should run about 1.60, 60 foot times.

I can supply lots of pics, if anybody is interested. The asking price & trading value is $10k, OR less engine/trans/converter $5k. If that's still too high to make a sale, I'll keep the 12-bolt & driveshaft and sell the rest for $3500. Will also keep the tires/wheels & knock off another $500. Hey, this is a good deal for somebody who wants to get into bracket racing cheap, with a '68 Bird.

Would make a great starter car, for a beginner. I'd put in a mild 400/glide. That would slow things down a bit, and simplify , by getting better traction, and only having 1 shift to make. Hey, just a side thought.

I'm located in North central Louisiana. Will help load it onto a car hauler, for shipping. I had a car shipped here from Kansas, back in 2008. Cost was about $550. Don't know if shipping costs have risen or not, since fuel is cheaper now. ?

After I sell this car, I'm gonna rig up a street/strip car. So, I need help finding the right car. My 1st choice is a '71 T-37 or GT-37. Next choice is most any GOOD '69-'72 2-door A-body.

Will also consider '77-'78 non-T/A, non T-top, Pontiac powered Birds, as well as '73,'74, or '77 Pontiac powered Ventura, '79-'80 Pontiac powered Lemans, '77,'78 2-door Pontiac powered Cat or Bonny--no half vinyl or Landau roofs.

I don't want a vinyl roof of any kind, no moon roofs, & no 4-doors.

I'm not a body man, and can't do a full resto. So I need something that mostly just needs an engine, trans, & paint, to put it on the street. I realize these kind are hard to find nowadays. But, I only need one. So, if ya'll can help me locate what I need, it will be MUCH appreciated. Again, I can't jump right on anything, til my car sells. But, I'd like to see what's out there, so I can try to have something located, before mine sells.

Thanks for any help with this project !

Can't download any pics here, but I'll post a link to some on another site. Can provide lots of pics to anyone interested.

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5630579&postcount=11

Edited by - Tub on 25 Sep 2016 7:44:11 PM
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: