New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mike389
Big Trees

USA
568 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2016 :  12:20:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
filler tube on my '64 Bonneville is leaking, slow drip since last thursday after fill up to top, but has stopped at this point, O ring must have swelled back up!!! ran tank about half full for a few weeks which was a bad idea evidently!

have O ring coming & my question is can filler tube be removed without dropping tank ????? looks like it might come off enough to clean up & install new O ring, maybe!!

thanks for any info
Mike

Blued and Painted
Chief PONTIAC

USA
3409 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2016 :  12:44:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If the tank aria looks like the rest of the car, it probably would not take an hour to remove tank. This would give you and opportunity to closely check for cracks in the tank or problem with vapor vents.
Or send out to tank/radiator shop for pressure test or repair. IMO.

Even a small fuel leak could be disastrous.

Bull Nose Formula/ 461/ Q-Jet/
TH400/ 3.08 8.5 / R44TS.

Edited by - Blued and Painted on 31 Jul 2016 12:54:27 PM
Go to Top of Page

tjs44
Cochise

USA
413 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2016 :  1:02:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As I remember it can be changed without dropping it.You can look from under and see where it goes in.Tom
Go to Top of Page

mike389
Big Trees

USA
568 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2016 :  1:07:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
dropped tank to inspect inside it was clean like new !! amazing after 52 yrs. O ring change was rough being under body coating made filler tube removal hard had to clean at top & around tank opening & after cleaning it went back together a lot easier !! changed sending unit & of course new one was bad, it went to 1/4 mark only so Ames is sending another !! will be able to change without dropping tank which made my day !! will see next week maybe !!!
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5338 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2016 :  08:47:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Are you 100% new sending unit is bad and not a gauge issue? You should be able to hook an ohm meter to it and see what it says on half, full, and empty to get a good idea if it's working. If it's putting out the right resistance, then there's a different issue.
Go to Top of Page

mike389
Big Trees

USA
568 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2016 :  11:38:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the gauge is good checked As per instuctions, it pegs to full when tested & worked with old sending unit which was just all over the place & never steady,full to half to 3/4 back to full ect. it had a better ohm reading than the new one, Matt at Ames tested one @ 33+ ohms & sent it out to me , should get it in a few days !!!
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5338 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2016 :  11:39:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Awesome, hope it's smooth sailing after that!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: