Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

GtoGuy32
Cochise

USA
842 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2016 :  11:13:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Guys,

My Mickey Thompson ET Street Tires (bias ply) are 3 years old. They have about 50 passes on them and aren't really too worn out.

60 foot times haven't changed too much, but I am not running an engine with about 100 hp more, so it's tough to say.

What's a cutoff for tire age even if taken care of properly?

I could probably sell my tires to some guy just getting into racing and dont want to spend a ton of money.

67drake
Sitting Duck

Azerbaijan
1501 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2016 :  09:07:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I used mine till the cords started showing.

71' GTO Original 400 M20 3.23 posi
13.95@102.1 MPH on street tires
Go to Top of Page

Chicagogoat
Cochise

USA
823 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2016 :  11:34:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Chicagogoat's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave, I recommend trying drag radials. You won't regret it! Perfect for both street & strip. They last longer on the street than old school "softer" tires and many are running superfast ET's with 'em! My 2 cents

Pure Pontiac: learn it, live it, love it!

Edited by - Chicagogoat on 18 Jul 2016 11:35:25 AM
Go to Top of Page

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7223 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2016 :  10:14:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I see many different results being reported on drag radials around the web. Any specific recommendations or experiences with certain DR's?

Bowties are for Pee-wee Herman. "Chevy": even the name sounds cheap, but not as cheap as your Pontiac will be with an LS transplant.
Go to Top of Page

Chicagogoat
Cochise

USA
823 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2016 :  6:45:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Chicagogoat's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I know I posted this before but still a good short read on it. I prefer the M & H's in fact I will be ordering and swapping on my second set by the end of this season!DR's are a better all around tire on the street compared to old school. About 10 years ago I tried my first set that I'm finally about to replace. Before that I ran MT Indy profile bias-plys that were very soft and wore out in like 5 years! And I didn't even run it at the strip back then!

http://www.onallcylinders.com/2014/01/23/drag-radials-101-need-know-drag-radials/

Pure Pontiac: learn it, live it, love it!

Edited by - Chicagogoat on 19 Jul 2016 6:47:33 PM
Go to Top of Page

GtoGuy32
Cochise

USA
842 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2016 :  02:56:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chicagogoat

I know I posted this before but still a good short read on it. I prefer the M & H's in fact I will be ordering and swapping on my second set by the end of this season!DR's are a better all around tire on the street compared to old school. About 10 years ago I tried my first set that I'm finally about to replace. Before that I ran MT Indy profile bias-plys that were very soft and wore out in like 5 years! And I didn't even run it at the strip back then!

http://www.onallcylinders.com/2014/01/23/drag-radials-101-need-know-drag-radials/

Randall, I did try the radial slick with the 4 speed and they didn't hold as well as the bias ply tires. Going to a bias ply shaved a 0.15 off my 60 foot at the time.

I decided to get some new tires. I went with the MT ET Street R Bias Ply.

They are supposed to be a little better than the et streets.
Go to Top of Page

RayK
Cochise

USA
925 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2016 :  5:32:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I used the same tires for about 6 years before they went away. Contrary to popular belief, these tires won't last indefinitely as the compound hardens up over time and this is what I mean when I said they "went away". My 60' times got worse and the car would spin off the line and it kept taking longer and harder burnouts to heat them up. They DO go bad over time. I still have about 1/2 life on them too so don't be fooled.

1969 Firebird 461, #62 iron heads, Comp roller, Performer RPM, Q-Jet Turbo 400 w/ Continental converter. GM 8.5" 10 bolt with 3:73 gears.11.50's@ 119+ MPH
Go to Top of Page

67drake
Sitting Duck

Azerbaijan
1501 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2016 :  08:52:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FWIW,just throwing it out there-While doing my research stick cars are supposed to get better traction with the bias ply tires. That's why I went with the bias ply ET Streets,and not a drag radial. They drive like crap though.
Smoke em' till the cords show

71' GTO Original 400 M20 3.23 posi
13.95@102.1 MPH on street tires

Edited by - 67drake on 22 Aug 2016 08:54:13 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: