Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

74GP455
Tribal Scout

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2016 :  12:31:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all,
Yesterday I joined up here, and I'm enjoying poking around at all the posts. I had some questions on cam selection yesterday and already have some good responses, thank you!
Quick back story on me...Pontiac guy to the bone. My first car was a 76 GP 400 that I tore apart as a kid and put back together, that started in 1990. Held onto it all these years, but it's been sitting the last 6 because it developed a rod knock and I didn't have the money to fix it. Finally started to move on it last year and the years outside on dirt had taken their toll. Floors, cowl, and some of the body panels all in bad shape. Inner quarters rusted right through. And I discovered all this after I picked up a 455 to rebuild and drop in. Along comes a solid 74 on craigslist with a blown 400 so I pulled the trigger and the project begins. I have swapped the nose and most of the interior of my 76 onto this 74 and picked up two NOS fenders for it. Also had to address the roof which had the typical pock marks from the old top. That's all done now and I am waiting for my mechanic to help me with the engine assembly. He's an old school guy, but not a Pontiac guru like many of you guys are. I am building this 455 on somewhat of a budget and hope to have it in soon and be driving before summer is over. Hoping to learn from you guys as times goes on, I have no "real" Pontiac engine guys to lean on locally, so online is a big resource for me. I'm sure I'll be posting more questions soon...thanks in advance.

RonW
Buffalo

44 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2016 :  9:14:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Try to find a copy of Jim Hand's "How to Build Max-Performance Pontiac V-8's", it's a wealth of knowledge.
Go to Top of Page

rkellerjr
Many Feathers

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2016 :  9:49:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the site

Rich
1975 TA - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aR86YT69yeY
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic