Accuracy and the Semi-Auto Rifle
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Admin
Ye Olde Webmaster

848 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2016 :  09:26:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ever since I was a kid, shooting for accuracy was always something I was after. I spent many hours plinking with my .22 shooting shorts, longs and long rifle ammo through my Remington 472 Fieldmaster pump. Most of my plinking was at stuff. Beer and soda cans and home made paper targets. Most of my plinking was through iron sights and typically at pretty short distances--say 50 to 100 feet. On occasion I'd shoot at cans that were over 150 feet away. Ammo in the early 60s was dirt cheap so it was a thing you could do without fully too much dough from your wallet that could curtail other activities, buying gas, going out on dates etc.

Years later as an adult, shooting centerfire rounds was something I wanted to do. My first centerfire was chambered in .338 Win Mag. It was acquired as a "bear gun." However, I never fired it at any animal. Hundreds of rounds were fired through this gun and finally had to put it aside when the wood stock cracked from constant bench rest use. This rifle came with no sights so it received a 4x scope. To afford shooting this high recoil firearm, I got into reloading.

The next pair of riles were from the .22 caliber family. Both were chambered in .22-250 and once again neither was used to hunt game. All shooting was at paper targets. Fortunately, I had a 500 yard range to shoot these rifles (also the .338 Win Mag). Both rifles had high magnification, one a 12X Unertl and the other a 15X Simmons. Both of these rifles in this caliber are fun to shoot, easy on the shoulder and very accurate. My wife enjoyed shooting these with me. It was a caliber should could handle. My eldest son, then a boy of 10, was quite good with it too.

The next caliber wound up being a .270. What a delightful round to shoot. The rifle received a 4x scope and once again the rifle was not used to hunt any game. Once again it was used exclusively for target shooting and plinking at objects 100, 200-500 yards away. It proved to be a fast, flat shooter and quite accurate.

It's been almost 30 years since I bought a long gun. All of my current long guns are capable of using in a hunt. Many of the modern semi-auto rifles, premised off the Eugene Stoner AR 15 design and later adapted by our military in M16 form, are guns either chambered for .223 of 5.56 or both. Larger 7.62 mm are also available. Civilian semi-auto rifles are clip feed. They also are capable of using iron sights or scopes. As far as I can tell, most of them have relatively short barrels, and as a consequence have limited long range accuracy.

Since I engage in target shooting exclusively, non competitive shooting, reloading my own rounds to gain more accuracy, what semi-auto rifle available today provides the accuracy or near accuracy of my .22-250? I can put 5 rounds in the diameter of a quarter at 200 yards with the 22-250 on a still day. Having fired the M16 while in the service, I know that military weapon couldn't match that level of accuracy in my varmint rifles.

"Dedicated to keeping the classic Pontiac engine alive."

js292
Sitting Bull

USA
128 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2016 :  10:54:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a Adams Arms AR-15, and I can tell you it won't be accurate at 200 yards.

71 Formula 455
Go to Top of Page

Nasty
Buffalo

75 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2016 :  12:21:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a Rock River Arms National Match AR. 20" heavy barrel very crisp 4 lb trigger. Its the A4 version so I can mount a scope or use the 1/4 minute adj sights. It shoots 1/2 inch groups at 100 yds and easily inch at 200 when I do my part. At 300 and 600 its still x ring capable but the bullets are very wind sensitive even with 77 grain handloads.
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Ye Olde Webmaster

848 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2016 :  12:55:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Guns and Ammo has a piece on the Barrett entry. It looks to be quite accurate.

Go to Top of Page

beertracker
Cochise

350 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2016 :  09:35:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.accuracy-tech.com/long-range-shooting-with-semi-auto/

"While 308 SARs are popular, we?re seeing a lot of them these days put together with ballistically superior calibers like 260 Remington, 6.5 Creedmoor, and 6mm Creedmoor. This helps get the better ballistics out of the same package."
Go to Top of Page

Cobrabill
Talking Dog

Aruba
3128 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2016 :  01:16:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.accuracysystemsinc.com/index.php

Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle
Horse Feathers (Charter Member)

USA
4795 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2016 :  10:06:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Lot of good info CB and Nasty--my son's Mini could stand to be a bit more accurate. I have to relay the link to him so he can check it out.

----
400 bored +.030, forged TRW pistons, ported 62 heads, Hedman headers, 2.5 SS dual exhaust X Pypes, Comp 276AH10 cam, Scorpion 1.65 RR, 850 Q-jet, stock intake & tuned HEI; original owner.
Go to Top of Page

Nasty
Buffalo

75 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2016 :  12:56:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bill if yer talking Mini 14 the best item you can use to improve accuracy is an ACCU-STRUT. the tiny barrels are prone to harmonics that kill accuracy. The strut solves those problems.
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle
Horse Feathers (Charter Member)

USA
4795 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2016 :  2:06:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just passed the link to my son. I'm looking for something quite accurate out of the box--just like my 22-250s, 270 and even that shoulder bruising 338.

----
400 bored +.030, forged TRW pistons, ported 62 heads, Hedman headers, 2.5 SS dual exhaust X Pypes, Comp 276AH10 cam, Scorpion 1.65 RR, 850 Q-jet, stock intake & tuned HEI; original owner.
Go to Top of Page

Cobrabill
Talking Dog

Aruba
3128 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2016 :  8:28:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bill,I sent my Mini to them. They guarantee 1 MOA.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: