Rolled up sleeves in camo uniforms
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Admin
Ye Olde Webmaster

844 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2016 :  1:05:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I spent over 20 years in the Air Force. One of my uniforms was the Battle Dress Uniform (BDU for short). During that time the Air Force had a policy, which in my opinion was unnatural as it pertained to wearing the uniform with rolled up sleeves. Each sleeve had to be rolled so that the bundle of sleeve fabric showed out, that is camo showing out. For me personally, especially during the summer months, this posed a problem--the sleeve never would stay up. However, rolling them up more naturally that left a lighter inside fabric showing in its final rolled position stayed up beautifully. I noted that when we with Marines, they could wear their camo uniforms rolled up in this manner. That made good sense to me.

Years ago when I was on the range firing the M16, I had my sleeves rolled up the AF way and soon became quite frustrated trying to keep them in place. I took matters into my own hands and rolled them up the more natural and conventional way. Immediate problem solved. That was the one time, I chose to defy the rule.

Today I stumbled across a new article referencing the rolling up of sleeves for the US Army. It appears the Army prohibited camo sleeves to be rolled up at all. This was news to me--so I read on. The policy is about to change. However, will the camo have to be displayed the AF way, or the USMC way? Seems unimportant, pretty minor in the big scheme of things? I do believe it matters to our service members.

Here's that news article, should you find the inclination to check it out--
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/checkpoint/wp/2016/06/28/guns-out-why-the-army-is-poised-to-allow-rolled-sleeves-for-soldiers/

"Dedicated to keeping the classic Pontiac engine alive."

Redhawk44
Tribal Scout

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2016 :  10:33:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As far as us grunts in the Corps were concerned we rolled them our way to "not be like the Air Force or Army" . It was regulation, not sure why. We were told the Army did it that way so that they could be pulled down quickly in case of a chemical attack.
Go to Top of Page

Mark S.
Cochise

USA
432 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2016 :  12:28:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gee, Bill, in 23 years I never had that problem. Worst part was it made the sleeve where the rolled up sleeve was, kinda tight. For us enlisted, it was a simple matter to bring the sleeve up to just over your stripes, roll the sleeve & then pull the outside of the sleeve down so it was just under the bottom of the stripes. But as I was aircraft maintenance, we rarely wore our shirts unless going to & from the flight line. Worst of all was wearing the sleeves down in full MOPP4 config... Talk about a sauna suit...

PSP Member since 1996

Never enough cubes...

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein

Go to Top of Page

beertracker
Cochise

350 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2016 :  9:02:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As we said in the Army if you can't wear the uniform right don't wear it.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: