New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

chris60s
Tribal Scout

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2016 :  1:51:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Should have measured as I went along... There was a minor ridge - maybe 3-5 mils on all cylinders. I didn't have to remove it to get pistons out because they came out with an easy push, but removed it so new rings wouldn't hit the ridge. Using a Lisle 36500, I was careful "to remove only enough until I couldn't feel any ridge" but now measure 10-15 mils gone (near deck) - as if the ridge reamer wasn't in straight, but I was careful to keep it flat on the deck as I cut. Cut extends maybe .3 to .4 inches below deck, so the top ring will go over this area. Checked one cylinder - top ring gap 1/2" below deck (~ maximum tapered area) is ~.025" - ~1/4" below deck (where ridge was) is about .050". Will this work? I'd planned a basic stock rebuild with cast rings and 8.5:1 compression.

There's a small spacer on the lower part of cutter blade (to keep blade off cylinder wall) that must be too thick - I'd noticed it was cutting at top of ridge first instead of taking it down equally, but didn't measure - stupid me...

chris60s
Tribal Scout

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2016 :  1:55:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Took the engine to a shop Saturday. While there I noticed the ridge wasn't completely gone - it's not as bad as I thought. To get the car running/sold, I could probably hone it - basically extending taper to the top of the cylinder, but I want to do this car right before I part from it. Is a 69 GTO convertible that I got in 1985 - it's never been right. It had a 428 with rod knocking when I got it - had it rebuilt but they did a bad job and the rings never seated (hone was very rough). I ran it for years until a valve dropped, broke a piston, and sent a rod through a cylinder, killing the 428 - it's sat for about 15 years. Now I'll do the lower end right (bored, torque plate honed, balanced, fit the bearings) but basically stock 455 (TRW 2359 pistons, Melling SPC-7/068 cam, 6x-8 100cc heads). I'm almost 60, have too many cars and only want to keep two... a 67 triple black 428HO GP convertible with 8-lug wheels, and 69 GP with built up 383 Chevy motor (bought it that way...).

Short story with that GTO. Was driving around the night I brought it home, coming down a mild hill in the right lane of 45 mph wide street with 3 lanes. A 280Z and 70 Camaro were sitting at a light looking like they were going to run. I was about 3 car lengths back when the light turned green and they took off - I mashed pedal from a 20 punch, broke tires loose, and blew by both of them in the right lane with loud mufflers. I can still see the wide eyes when the guy in Camaro looked over like "What the ....". I backed off within a half block, looked over, and he was laughing. With good motor I'll have option to keep the GTO, but REALLY like that 69 GP (black body/vinyl top, chrome Rally II wheels). Eventually I want to build a 400 stroker - so many parts have been made available and much learned about these over the past 30 years.

Edited by - chris60s on 06 Jun 2016 2:02:36 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: