67 Le Mans pulleys etc
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RonW
Buffalo

44 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2016 :  10:43:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know I've said I'm going to start working on my 67 before, but this time is for real.
I am worried about my 670 headed / 400ci on pump gas, so for starters I thought I'd better have a good cooling system.
I'm installing a 3 row Champion aluminum radiator and my engine has an old 8 bolt water pump.
I thought I was doing a good thing when I bought a (68 and later) new timing cover, so I could install an 11 bolt hi-flow aluminum water pump and an SFI harmonic balancer.
I thought together these items would update my engine to the 68 and later style.
When I pulled the pulley and balancer off yesterday I noticed my pulley is a 6 bolt mount not a 4 bolt.
I can get a 4 bolt pulley easy enough (I think), but as I start putting it back together, am I going to run into other issues (like belt alignment, etc.)?
I appreciate any info.

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7222 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2016 :  07:53:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you can provide a measurement for comparison, I or one of the other members can check our 4 bolt pulleys against it.

Bowties are for Pee-wee Herman. "Chevy": even the name sounds cheap, but not as cheap as your Pontiac will be with an LS transplant.
Go to Top of Page

RonW
Buffalo

44 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2016 :  8:23:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your offer Phil, much appreciated.
I was hoping someone might have first hand knowledge making this update.
At this point I don't know if I can compare any measurements, as I'm changing the damper as well and I don't know where the face will be compared to the 67 damper.
I have the new damper and a four bolt pulley coming hopefully this week, so I'll see how it goes.
Go to Top of Page

Mordor67
Tribal Scout

22 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2017 :  10:33:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did you ever get the 11 bolt pump to work with the 67 pulleys, etc? Doing the same thing to a 67 Tempest and want to run the 11 bolt pump. Looks as though the 11 bolt is 1/2" longer though they did make a shorter one in '69 (4"), 1 yr only.
Go to Top of Page

RonW
Buffalo

44 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2017 :  10:46:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Decided to pull the motor for a tear down. Haven't sorted the pulleys out yet.
Go to Top of Page

Blk69Judge
Tribal Scout

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2017 :  1:01:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RonW

Decided to pull the motor for a tear down. Haven't sorted the pulleys out yet.

Go to Top of Page

Blk69Judge
Tribal Scout

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2017 :  1:10:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fairly sure you will have to go to the 68 n up 4 bolt balancer
and the 68-70 crank pulley ...those old 67 n older balancers are at a ripe age for the rubber to fail ... and your timing mark is going to be an inch away from the balancer now.w/ 67 balancer.. even tho we time by ear mostly ... and the 69 1/2-70 waterpump pulley..9799127 or 128 ac ..
the 67-70 power steering pumps are all A ok and should be finr... not a 66 pump 67 -70 ...
if you need pulleys I should be able to help
or get em for you ....
Scott

Go to Top of Page

Mordor67
Tribal Scout

22 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2017 :  09:33:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cool. My 400 almost together so when it gets in the car will find out what works; or dont. definitely using the 70 balancer and crank,water pump pulleys

Edited by - Mordor67 on 28 Jan 2017 09:35:21 AM
Go to Top of Page

mordor 67
Tribal Scout

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2017 :  2:27:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, got the 326 out and transferred the alt, PS pump and brackets to the 400. The 400 crank and water pump pulleys stick out 5/16" further than the 326 pulleys did. So I am going to fabricate a spacer that thickness to go behind the aluminium bracket that bolts to cyl head. this should work just fine but bottom line; they dont just interchange exactly. I got some pics but having trouble trying to upload here

Jayya
Go to Top of Page

Mordor67
Tribal Scout

22 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2017 :  3:49:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I ended up getting 5/16 spacers to move the alt and PS pump out to line up with the 70 pulleys. This worked well but made the factory bolts and PS stud too short. So I used 3 SS allthread studs in the aluminium bracket on the pass head. This actually made assembly of the alt and PS pump much easier. I also had to put a longer stud in the PS pump itself. A 3/8 spacer between pump body and bracket on the head along with the factory cupped washer worked perfect. A picture would be worth 1K words here but this site not user friendly for pics. Also note-11 bolt WP moved the fan that much deeper into the shroud but seems OK. Harder to get shroud on/off the car. The upper 67 alt brackets worked OK, but are no longer even with each other. Hope this helps anybody doing the same thing...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: