New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

67drake
Sitting Duck

Azerbaijan
1501 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2016 :  1:23:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been helkping my wife's cousin over the last few years get his '70 340 Cuda together. Went in today to have the interior finished. Should be on the road in the next week or so. Original engine,transmission,and rear end. He's got like 70K into this thing now! See what you can do when you're single with no kids?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axwdYi03fuQ&app=desktop

71' GTO Original 400 M20 3.23 posi
13.95@102.1 MPH on street tires

Edited by - 67drake on 31 May 2016 1:23:47 PM

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7215 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2016 :  07:50:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's a nice project. What wheels are eventually going on it? Mopar rally's?

Bowties are for Pee-wee Herman. "Chevy": even the name sounds cheap, but not as cheap as your Pontiac will be with an LS transplant.
Go to Top of Page

67drake
Sitting Duck

Azerbaijan
1501 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2016 :  8:39:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure if decided yet,but he's trying to keep it stock looking. So I assume the rally's
I'm trying to talk him into ditching the Edelbrock carb and going back to stock. He already decided to ditch the E valve covers.

Go to Top of Page

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7215 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2016 :  09:45:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That'll look great with Rallys. Good idea trying to get him to ditch the E-carb. That should be what, a Thermoquad?

Those 340's were surprisingly good runners back in the day.

Bowties are for Pee-wee Herman. "Chevy": even the name sounds cheap, but not as cheap as your Pontiac will be with an LS transplant.
Go to Top of Page

67drake
Sitting Duck

Azerbaijan
1501 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2016 :  10:24:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Phil

That'll look great with Rallys. Good idea trying to get him to ditch the E-carb. That should be what, a Thermoquad?

Those 340's were surprisingly good runners back in the day.

I THINK that's what it's called. He has 99% of the original parts that came with the car,and I know I saw the carb in the pile. I figure there has to be a "Cliff Ruggles" of these carbs. I'd have to do some homework,but I'm sure I could make it run way better than an E carb.
My Q-jet runs like fuel injection due to Cliffs help and parts,and my being anal about my own rebuild and carb/ignition tuning. I also rebuilt the 4 bbl. on my cousins dads '66 LeMans. I bought those parts off of Jon "Carbking" down in Missouri. Runs great. I have no fear of doing the rebuilds,but I just need to find somebody who knows the MOPAR carbs and can kind of guide me as far as a starting point with jets/rods,and supply good parts like Cliff.
He has nothing to lose except the cost of the kit,I won't charge him anything.

Edit-PS,he's running an adaptor plate between his carb and the original intake too. This raises the height of the original air cleaner enough to hit the underside of his hood. He was told by the engine builder (the same guy who put the E junk on the engine) that the adaptor was required. I think this is due to the spread bore/square bore issue (just a guess),another reason I'm trying to sway him from the E carb. If you dump $70,000 into a car to restore it,keep it stock looking! Especially if the aftermarket parts are NOT helping performance! JMO I still have to verify the bore issue,but that's my guess. I've had no time to look into it till now. I'll have to hit the Mopar forums this week,I guess.

Edit-PSS Looks like the Carter AVS was on the '70 340's,Thermoquad on the '71's.

Edited by - 67drake on 02 Jun 2016 11:06:54 AM
Go to Top of Page

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7215 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2016 :  07:14:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jon Hargrove is the guru for all things Carter.

Go to Top of Page

67drake
Sitting Duck

Azerbaijan
1501 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2016 :  07:47:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HeHe! Great minds think alike,I just called Jon yesterday afternoon!
He told me that unless the engine was kept bone stock-cam,exhaust manifolds,even mufflers,that the original AVS will be impossible to tune. He also mentioned the horrible gas milage they got. Well,cousins car has a hotter cam,headers,ect.,so there's my answer.
He agreed with me on dumping the Edelbrock carb. He said they are just as bad,if not worse than the original AVS.
Jon said the best thing to do would be to find a '73 and up intake manifold and run a AFB. I doubt if my cousin in law will want to go through this hassle right now though. He's excited to get his car on the road after 2 1/2 years of just looking at it sit. When he gets the exhaust installed I'll just do the best I can with the E junk for now. I'm sure after driving it for awhile maybe he'll change it up a little to get better performance and milage.
I haven't even run this by cuz yet,but I know he's going to want to just get it on the road for now.
Also,I talked to Jon about the adaptor plate I mentioned above. He said there should be no need for it. I'll have to look into why the shop mounted it. With the plate the stock aircleaner hits the hood. Maybe we'll pull it off and check it out.

Edited by - 67drake on 03 Jun 2016 07:51:56 AM
Go to Top of Page

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7215 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2016 :  1:17:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's great you were able to talk with Jon. He certainly is a wealth of information on these carbs. He actually had a 1970 NOS in OB correct Carter AFB for an old Chris Craft I am restoring.

Given Jon's advice about the AVS that would have come originally on your Cousins car as well as the E-carb he is currently using, if it were my project at this point I would seriously consider a nicely built Holley from that era.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: