Chris Kyle: American Sniper Article
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Admin
Ye Olde Webmaster

844 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2016 :  08:58:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just read an article where the author reveals that the late Chris Kyle (former Navy Seal and legendary sniper) was not awarded two (2) Silver Stars as reported on his official DD form 214, but just one. This article distresses me.

When a service member is discharged honorably, a DD form 214 is filled out. It contains information about the member's service that is provided partially by the member who is interviewed, and partially from personnel records. Some medals awarded to members come with no written citation describing the supporting information for the award. Others, the more personal ones, come with a very formal written citation. When a medal such as this is "pinned" on the service member, the citations for the award is usually read a loud. I did this numerous times for officers and enlisted under my supervision.

Chris Kyle would have received a formal written citation for a Bronze Star and the higher Silver Star. When a second award of the same medal is awarded for a separate and distinct level of gallantry or merit, the service member is give a second medal, however, when displayed on a blouse or shirt (as typical of Navy custom) a bronze oak leaf is placed on the ribbon.

I can only surmise that there is perhaps one instance that a formal written citation would not be formally presented and that would be for some kind of secret covert action. Do we do covert actions? I think you know the answer to that one.

It is the duty of the service member to provide accurate and truthful information to support the DD form 214 that is prepared. It is also the duty of the person, civilian employee or service member in personnel to verify the number of awards, ribbons and medals claimed by the service member. I know this first hand. (Been there done that.)

Unless, the author of the article can verify the non-existence of two Silver Star citations, Chris Kyle's DD from 214 stating he was awarded 2 Silver Stars must stand.

"Dedicated to keeping the classic Pontiac engine alive."

Admin
Ye Olde Webmaster

844 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2016 :  06:27:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Governor Rick Perry agrees with me that the DD form 214 crediting Kyle with 2 Silver Stars must stand, as it is the definitive official document showing medals and awards.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2016/05/30/rick-perry-truth-about-american-sniper-chris-kyle.html

Go to Top of Page

Cobrabill
Talking Dog

Aruba
3128 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2016 :  10:48:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can not prove a negative.

Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle
Horse Feathers (Charter Member)

USA
4794 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2016 :  3:40:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
After a lengthy investigation by the US Navy, the original DD form 214 issued to CPO Chris Kyle was amended. The Navy deleted one of the two Silver Stars awarded to Kyle because it was in error. His Bronze Star count was added to. All errors were made by the personnel office.

The matter is now close.

----
400 bored +.030, forged TRW pistons, ported 62 heads, Hedman headers, 2.5 SS dual exhaust X Pypes, Comp 276AH10 cam, Scorpion 1.65 RR, 850 Q-jet, stock intake & tuned HEI; original owner.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: