New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

19firebird69
Tribal Scout

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2016 :  6:44:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a comp cams roller cam can i lube the lobes with royal purple assembly lube or what lube should i use. Also when installing timing chain should both sprokets be at 12 o clock or cam sprocket at 6 and crank sproket at 12 o clock?

Tub
Sitting Bull

172 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2016 :  12:36:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No special lube needed on roller cams.

You can put the dots at 6 & 12, for assembly. But, remember that to get the #1 cylinder on tdc of it's compression stroke, you'll need to rotate the crank 1 revolution. At 6 & 12, you'll be on tdc, comp stroke, of #6 cyl. When both dots are at 12 o'clock, your on tdc, comp stroke, of #1 cyl.

Edited by - Tub on 25 May 2016 12:39:21 AM
Go to Top of Page

19firebird69
Tribal Scout

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2016 :  01:37:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Im new at this so should i put #1 cylinder at tdc first then install timing chain at 6 and 12
Go to Top of Page

GtoGuy32
Cochise

USA
842 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2016 :  11:41:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Degree the cam just to check the cam using the intake centerline method. It's a good idea to verify duration and lobe lift.

Use a good break in oil, like Joe Gibbs. It likes to stick to metal better than conventional metal....it would be added insurance, but like others said, the roller cam doesn't need anything special.

Good luck
Go to Top of Page

19firebird69
Tribal Scout

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2016 :  12:03:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ima be using the comp cams break in oil. After that go with conventional or go synthetic
Go to Top of Page

Tub
Sitting Bull

172 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2016 :  02:49:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"...should i put #1 cylinder at tdc first then install timing chain at 6 and 12"

You might as well, because IF the timing dots are in the correct place, the dot on the crank sprocket will be at the 12 O'clock position anytime the #1 piston is at TDC.

Obviously, any time the dot on the crank sprocket is at the 6 O'clock position the #1 piston will be at BDC. If the dot is up, the piston is up. If the dot is down, the piston is down, since the piston goes all the way up & all the way down, with each revolution of the crank.

But, since the crank makes 2 revs for each rev of the cam, the piston will be up, both when the dot on the cam sprocket is at 6 and when it is at 12.
Go to Top of Page

Lee
Sitting Bull

101 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2016 :  10:49:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lee's Homepage  Reply with Quote
When #1 piston is at TDC, #6 will also be at TDC, and the dot on the crank gear should be at 12 o'clock. The cam gear dot can be at either 12 or 6, 12 has always been easier for me to "see" so that is what I use. Just watch the valve movements to determine whether to point the rotor to 1 or 6 when installing the distributor.

Relatedly, you can also set the timing with the light connected to #6. I do that at the track when a group of people are watching, just to see who is paying attention :-)

CURRENT: '73 T/A clone, boring at the moment...
67 Firebird (sold) 11.27 @ 119.6 Feb. '05 issue HPP
69 Falcon wagon, 10.51 @ 130mph Feb. '10 issue PHR (sold)
72 Cutlass Convertible, first car, owned since '82, now with a 6.0 LS, mild, putting just under 400 hp/tq to the wheels.
www.LNLPD.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: