New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Cowpatty69
Sitting Bull

USA
137 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2016 :  9:14:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Guys, I'm getting ready to put the lower valence on the 78/73 Frankenbird and was hoping someone could provide a picture of what I am missing. I have the harness in place from the 78, but think I am missing a pig tail or something simple. Help a brutha out??

[/URL]

[/URL]

Got Poncho?

Cowpatty69
Sitting Bull

USA
137 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2016 :  4:51:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So, I found two solutions. Solution one below- but it does not look like I can remove the existing without tearing up the housing..
[/URL]

Got Poncho?
Go to Top of Page

Cowpatty69
Sitting Bull

USA
137 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2016 :  4:53:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So I went with option two- the whole housing ($100/pr-ouch), BUT, option one looks like it will work with this if ever needed.
[/URL]

Got Poncho?
Go to Top of Page

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7215 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2016 :  10:02:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had to do a little wire wringing and modifying of the front parking light wires when I did that swap. I wanted to keep the stock function of the parking lights as they alternate when the parking lights are on along with the turn signals which I happen to like.

Bowties are for Pee-wee Herman. "Chevy": even the name sounds cheap, but not as cheap as your Pontiac will be with an LS transplant.
Go to Top of Page

Cowpatty69
Sitting Bull

USA
137 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2016 :  9:09:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It shouldn't be this difficult to get turn signals, lights, parking lights to work when swapping a 70 nose on a 78- but, it is most of the time. To make it more challenging, there is not much out there from people who have done it. So I hope this helps. The picture above shows the new parking lamp housings I purchased. Not sure if they fit newer, but 1970 for sure. What was difficult was finding a harness "socket" that would fit over the back of this housing. So out of the blue while scouring the swap meet stuff at the Pontiac Nationals in Norwalk, I find a brand new headight harness for a 1970 Firebird new in a bag. $100. Well, i went through the rest of the 5 miles of stuff and came back and missed it by five minutes. Man was I pissed at myself! So Benjamin and I walked thru it all again for the 10th last time and we came across a guy that had a headlight harness from a 69 Grand Prix- and it looked to have the right sockets. I wasn't sure, but he sold it to me for $5. SCORE! This is what the socket looks like-
[/URL]

Got Poncho?
Go to Top of Page

Cowpatty69
Sitting Bull

USA
137 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2016 :  9:17:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So I splice the 78 parking lamp harness with these sockets (and clean, clean, clean the connections) In case I didn't mention, CLEAN the connections!
[/URL]
78 parking lamp harness
[/URL]
ready for splice
[/URL]
We plug them in and got driver side only turn signal. We cleaned the connections (seeing a theme) and both sides work- front and back!
That being said, we have no parking lamps (yet) and the high beam dash light stays on when the lights are on, regardless of what dimmer setting is being used. And the passenger side indicators don't flash on the dash, but driver side does. My brain hurts, but guessing it may be all related, but for another day. Stay tuned..

Got Poncho?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: