New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Tomy2tone
Tribal Scout

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2016 :  3:17:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone know the differences in the different ram air manifolds? I hear of the II and the III versions, I want some for my 65 pontiac lemans that I'm putting a 1967 Gto 400 ci engine in. and Im hoping to avoid a fitment issue

Tomy2tone
Tribal Scout

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2016 :  01:34:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Let me update my original post, I found a set of pontiac reproduction ram air III exhaust manifolds for a super deal, will they fit in my 65 lemans as far as fitment goes? Any input would be helpfull.
Go to Top of Page

DamnYankee
Tribal Scout

39 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2016 :  08:50:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This may be of some help:

Mr. P-Body:

There are four basic "flavors" of factory performance exhaust manifolds. There's the D-port "HO" manifolds for the '67 GTO. These are a bit "smaller" than the later ones, and fit '64 through '67 A-bodies. There's the '68-'70 D-port "HO" manifolds (found mostly on Ram Air "III" engines). These fot all '68-'77 A-bodies and E-bodies, as well as 2nd gen F-bodies with D-port heads. There are the "round port" version for '68-'72 A-bodies and '70-'74 F-bodies with Ram Air IV, 455HO or 455 SD. These do NOT fit D-port heads.

Lastly, there's the legendary "Long Branch". Originally designed for the early Catalinas during the "Super Duty" program, these are truly magnificent manifolds, more like "cast headers". But alas and alack... They fit the 1st gen Firebird, but not the later ones.
Go to Top of Page

Tomy2tone
Tribal Scout

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2016 :  11:47:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know that the ram air III will fit the 67 400 engine side without a problem I'm concerned about the frame clearance if there is an issue there maybe, if anyone has knowledge of using these in the 1965 lemans/gto application?
Go to Top of Page

Steve C.
Crazy Horse

1673 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2016 :  12:21:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A fwiw comment.

I have a friend with a '64 Tempest. Although he has not used them he states the d-port design will work, but the round port design will require a bit of fitment issues with the frame clearance (grinding).

Edited by - Steve C. on 06 Mar 2016 12:22:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

Tomy2tone
Tribal Scout

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2016 :  2:17:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Thanks Steve C. These I'm looking at are D port so I'm gonna get em.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: