New HEI and no fire.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Elvira64GP
Tribal Scout

4 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2016 :  4:42:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a 64 Grand Prix and i just bought a brand new Highway kit 15 with a fuse box included wiring kit and installed it. also bought a brand new HEI distributor and coil package from TPS and i have power with key on and key on start to the coil. i tried everything from top dead center to re installing the distributor. i have one wire running from fuse box to coil and the distributor has a black ground a red and a yellow all plugged into where they need to be. the distributor is a plug and play. so i didnt do anything but put it in the motor and made sure i was were i needed to be for #1 plug wire checked over 5 times and same with power checked it. now the distributor came with no instructions except a picture. am i missing a wire cause on the wiring kit i bought showed a wire running from a third pin on the starter to the coil but i only have two pins on the starter so i left it aside for now. maybe someone who knows pontiacs can tell me if this is why it wont start. this is my first pontiac.

Bill Boyle
Horse Feathers (Charter Member)

USA
4793 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2016 :  6:53:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
HEI requires 12v to start the engine. Are you sure the HEI coil is getting a constant 12v to it?

Please read this article. It's a points to HEI conversion. See if it makes sense with your Highway Kit electrical--

http://www.pontiacstreetperformance.com/psp/HEIconversion.html

"Dedicated to keeping the classic Pontiac engine alive."

----
400 bored +.030, forged TRW pistons, ported 62 heads, Hedman headers, 2.5 SS dual exhaust X Pypes, Comp 276AH10 cam, Scorpion 1.65 RR, 850 Q-jet, stock intake & tuned HEI; original owner.
Go to Top of Page

Elvira64GP
Tribal Scout

4 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2016 :  2:29:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What would i have to do to check it. I think your right. I even replaced the new coil with the old one that worked before the re wiring of the car. now both of them do not work sorry I didnt reply sooner i came down with bronchitis. Today is the first day I feel good enough to get out to the garage.
Go to Top of Page

Elvira64GP
Tribal Scout

4 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2016 :  5:09:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
okay so I did exactly what was written I have power even ran a 12v from the starter to the coil and still nothing. I am so close to giving up on this car always something.
Go to Top of Page

67drake
Sitting Duck

Azerbaijan
1501 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2016 :  5:20:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After reading your posts,I realize it is not starting,BUT have you checked for spark at the plugs? IOW,is this a no spark issue,or a no start issue?

71' GTO Original 400 M20 3.23 posi
13.95@102.1 MPH on street tires

Edited by - 67drake on 06 Mar 2016 5:21:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

Elvira64GP
Tribal Scout

4 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2016 :  10:40:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well the story goes. this cars wiring was so jimmy rigged it was a rag tag drag project when i bought it so i had no way of knowing the original wiring and what was going on half the lights didnt work it had a timing issue really bad blowing flames and sparking under the dash. so i stripped the whole car down. gutted all the wiring. the distributor that was in it was a ac delco dist. crane cam hei kit inside the cap and the cap itself msd. so the level of jimmy rigging was over whelming. i bought a TSP HEI dist. coil and all the wires. I installed a Highway 15 wiring kit. I have 12v of power running from the ign. to the coil and i have power with switch on and on running. i even now put a backup wire from the starter to the 12v bolt on the coil. still no power coming out. I even went back to the original flamethower Coil and coil wire that worked before i wired the car. the distributor is flush. I put it to top dead center on #1 spark plug. and insured it was aligned with the cap and rotor. I still have no spark running from the either coil to the distributor. it is just confusing i tried everything more then a couple times each. only thing i havent tried is another brand new dist. and coil.
Go to Top of Page

50delivery
Tribal Scout

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2016 :  10:53:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some distributors with a external coil require a ballast resistor.
This keeps from frying the distributor module.

I had this happen last year

larry
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: