Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

scatchy400
Tribal Scout

United Kingdom
13 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2016 :  4:44:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone,

New to the forum : )

I have just purchased a Pontiac 400 engine that arrived on a pallet all the way from California about two days ago!

I have been a huge fan of American cars since forever. Being just 21 years old and living in the UK makes it very hard with current fuel and insurance pricing to purchase a classic American car here in England.

I seem to have jumped in and done the next best thing. Bought myself a 1970 Pontiac 400 engine haha. It's in need of a rebuild and I am a total novice so I will be asking some really stupid questions!

Hope you guys don't mind the fact that I am new to this and not savvy with all the terminology etc.

I will upload some pictures soon and I might need some help on confirming block and parts information if you guys are willing to help? Tried a few forums but find them to be not so welcoming to novices such as myself. Hoping for a friendly crowd here!

Cheers,

Josh

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5338 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2016 :  09:24:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Welcome from across the pond! There is at least one member here in the UK, so you'll have advice from over there. I do know that being over there does jack the price up on everything....still, a step in the right direction. now we all just need to mail you one part of a car that we have lying around :)
Go to Top of Page

scatchy400
Tribal Scout

United Kingdom
13 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2016 :  12:09:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cortcomp

Welcome from across the pond! There is at least one member here in the UK, so you'll have advice from over there. I do know that being over there does jack the price up on everything....still, a step in the right direction. now we all just need to mail you one part of a car that we have lying around :)

Thanks for the welcome! As long as you don't send me parts from a Honda I will be happy haha.
Go to Top of Page

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7219 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2016 :  2:22:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to PSP! I hesitate to ask but who built the engine in California or is it an original?

Bowties are for Pee-wee Herman. "Chevy": even the name sounds cheap, but not as cheap as your Pontiac will be with an LS transplant.
Go to Top of Page

scatchy400
Tribal Scout

United Kingdom
13 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2016 :  2:19:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
" target="_blank"> blockquote id= quote font size= 1 face= Arial, Verdana, Helvetica id= quote quote: hr height= 1 noshade id= quote i Originally posted by Phil /i br / br / Welcome to PSP! I hesitate to ask but who built the engine in California or is it an original? br / hr height= 1 noshade id= quote /font id= quote /blockquote id= quote br / br / br / br /

http://s1156.photobucket.com/user/jjscatchard94/library/

Thanks for the welcome : ) The engine looks completely original, hasn't been rebuilt. Covered in grime etc, popped the valve covers off today, gaskets are really old. Looks like it hasn't been touched for years.

Cheers!

Edited by - scatchy400 on 11 Feb 2016 3:48:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

67drake
Sitting Duck

Azerbaijan
1501 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2016 :  8:45:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well,looks like Flopper hasn't worked his magic on it. You should be OK.
What kind of car is this going into?

71' GTO Original 400 M20 3.23 posi
13.95@102.1 MPH on street tires

Edited by - 67drake on 11 Feb 2016 8:47:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7219 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2016 :  9:26:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh thank God Bruce Madoff didn't touch it. #11 heads?

Bowties are for Pee-wee Herman. "Chevy": even the name sounds cheap, but not as cheap as your Pontiac will be with an LS transplant.
Go to Top of Page

scatchy400
Tribal Scout

United Kingdom
13 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2016 :  3:38:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 67drake

Well,looks like Flopper hasn't worked his magic on it. You should be OK.
What kind of car is this going into?

Not sure yet, love Firebirds but let's see how the engine rebuild goes first. One think I love about Classic American cars is that the engines were used in an array of models unlike many British cars of the same era. I am yet to make up my mind on what gen firebird I can afford though haha
Go to Top of Page

scatchy400
Tribal Scout

United Kingdom
13 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2016 :  4:06:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Phil

Oh thank God Bruce Madoff didn't touch it. #11 heads?

Yeah, looks like it hasn't been messed with (so far). #16 heads on it. Not sure how good the stock heads are though? I have no real set budget but will be looking at street friendly HP figure of around 370. That said, I don't have my mind set on anything at the moment ha!

Go to Top of Page

Latech
Cochise

USA
397 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2016 :  3:02:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like a 1970 400 with a 2 barrel. If so they were 290 or 330 horse.

Best to get the block numbers, date codes, head numbers and secondary codes (if applicable) etc and run the numbers.
You should do a compression test and an oil pressure test to see how healthy it is. It may just need a re seal and a cam to get you to 370.
Of course a 4 barrel will be a pre requisite
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: