Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

GtoGuy32
Cochise

USA
842 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2016 :  11:14:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Guys,

As I grow older, I keep finding that I trust less and less people. What I mean by that is, I feel like if I want something done right, I have to do it myself. I am sure many of you have felt this way too.

For example, I do all of my own work on just about everything I own; cars, house, equipment to take care of the yard, etc and typically don't bring my things to others for maintenance.

I broke down and brought my truck to a garage on Friday to do engine oil, trans fluid and filter, both differential fluids, and transfer case. I brought all of the supplies to the garage so they didn't just use the wrong stuff, etc and put high quality materials in my vehicle. I told the guy that I am picky and that am a little obsessive over stuff, but didn't have the time to do the oil changes since I needed to tow my car trailer 600 miles the next day and wanted this maintenance done first.

Long story short, the guys overfilled my transmission by at least 2 quarts! The fluid was WAY up the dipstick. I called the garage and told them what happened and they didn't think it was such a big deal. My first reaction.....IDIOTS! The trans temp was all over the map....not sure if it is a coincidence or not, but I usually pay close attention to that stuff when I tow.

This has happened with other things along the way for me....I have a handful of people I trust these days and it seems like everyone else has their heads up their you know whats!

Admin
Ye Olde Webmaster

844 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2016 :  09:01:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave you have opened Pandora's Box. I have become the same way and seldom give others the opportunity to fix anything that we own that needs maintenance or breaks. The level of care and professionalism, as well as pride in what is at hand, has been lost. When I'm beyond my experience level to do something, finding a qualified person that cares and will do a good job is so difficult, that while the thing is being repaired, I'm like an expectant father pacing around hoping that things will go right. Doing so really upsets "my apple cart."

In the past I have encountered mistakes that could have resulted in real problems by doubling checking the work or repair. No oil in the engine was one that comes to mind with my old truck. Another is cross threading the lug nuts on the same truck, and breaking a few off and not telling me. I could go on but you know what I mean...and this is only with vehicles, not home electrical or other repairs.

"Dedicated to keeping the classic Pontiac engine alive."

Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5335 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2016 :  09:56:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I agree with you wholeheartedly. I generally make a list of specifics for a job and hand it to them, and if they have questions, call. I had a three day back and forth discussion over timing cover gaskets with the builder who restored the 327 for my truck. Best motor yet, no leaks no problems.

The prevailing attitude i get is "i do this for a living, why don't you let me handle it." I know professionals hate the internet because people read tidbits and then reading more into it than what that advice means. But on the flip side, there's still body guys who won't use panel adhesive or waterborne paint or sealers vs etching primers because that's how they've always done things.

No sense trying to force someone to move forward, might as well move along and give someone your money who will do things how you want.
Go to Top of Page

GtoGuy32
Cochise

USA
842 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2016 :  8:37:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys. It is comforting to know others out there feel the way I do. My wife always says to relax a little bit more...I just can't be a spectator for sub-mediocrity at the very least....

People want a ton of money to do easy stuff...I get it, you have to run a business, but at least do it right!

I wonder if there was so many knuckleheads out there in the 40s and 50s when people built things with pride (at least that's my perception of the era).

Dave
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5335 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2016 :  09:23:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Honestly i'm amazed with the internet that people aren't doing better work. It used to take forever to find good advice in ANY field from another professional when you ran into something (as the business person.) If you didn't know how to do something on a car, you'd have to pass or seek someone out who knew, go to trade shows.

Now you can google. Never done a timing chain on a jag v8? NO PROBLEM! Here's the tips and tricks the manuals won't show you in step by step form, or video, and you can rent that special tools. Want to know how to paint your own car professionally? NO PROBLEM! Here's a group of guys willing to show you. Customer wants you to be sure the plug is in the oil galley by the dist on his pontiac? NO PROBLEM! Google shows you the picture.

If i run into something i haven't seen before, there is a WORLD of professionals doing what i do who are happy to share their experiences, setbacks, and successes. Sloppy work or not knowing what to do and rigging it are less excusable than ever before.
Go to Top of Page

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7215 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2016 :  10:30:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This has been a problem for many years and has gotten worse. Another problem is these days, each and every part, regardless of how small must be scrutinized for proper fit and quality. This adds yet another layer of complexity to the trust issue when farming out any work. My biggest issue these days seems to be body shops...as in trying to find a good quality shop who doesn't think they are Picasso and should get a 2 week trip to Hawaii for the entire shop and their families every time they paint an old car. Almost all of them in my area want to do only insurance/collision work. The remaining shops are either hacks or "specialize" in older restorations etc. but charge so much for a paint job and minimal body work that a Home Equity loan is required. Trust is always a leap of faith when it comes to Body shops.

Machine shops are another problem as they have been disappearing fast. The local options are very thin now...more trust issues. It's looking more and more like my money is better spent spec'ing out and buying an assembled short or long block from Butler, CVMS, Len Williams or other proven/reliable Pontiac source.

Bowties are for Pee-wee Herman. "Chevy": even the name sounds cheap, but not as cheap as your Pontiac will be with an LS transplant.

Edited by - Phil on 09 Feb 2016 10:31:53 AM
Go to Top of Page

mike mcarthur
Pony that Jumps

USA
2475 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2016 :  07:07:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit mike mcarthur's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I understand completely the concerns of having done. What I've seen is companies have downgraded and in a lot if cases eliminated training. Big mistake. My company realized that and recently built a new training team which I am proud to be a part of. It will take some time, but we have a lot of sharp young people that are eager and willing to learn the right way. I would tell everyone to find a place that has such programs, and then find that person that you trust and stick with them. I had a huge clientele and many were very concerned when I moved to my my new position. That's the person you want to find. It's a challenge, but we're out there.

It's the stuff you learn after you know it all that's important
Go to Top of Page

GtoGuy32
Cochise

USA
842 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2016 :  9:15:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
UPDATE:

My truck was up for another oil change. First since I had the quick-lube shop change my oil.

When I went to them to do my oil change. I provided them with 6 quarts of Mobil 1 and a Wix oil filter.

When I crawled under my truck tonight. They switched out my Wix with some cheapo no-name filter.

I learned my lesson to not ever go to a place like this again.
Go to Top of Page

tjs44
Cochise

USA
412 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2016 :  9:29:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have taken my Baldwins to Jiffy Lube with no issues.Tom
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: