Enginer Build
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DamnYankee
Tribal Scout

39 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2016 :  3:59:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, after many years of work, by 68' FireChicken convertible is coming together. Spotts Performance is assembling the engine and is almost ready for the initial start up and run in, consisting of a 71' 400 GTO block, 461 Stroker Kit, IMI mini starter, Stump Puller hyd. Roller 230-236 duration @ .050 560/570 lift, 1.60 rockers, Tomahawk intake, ported 96 heads, Holley Terminator EFI, MSD ignition and R.A.R.E Long Branch exhaust manifolds. Complete build sheet to follow.

Bill Boyle
Horse Feathers (Charter Member)

USA
4794 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2016 :  4:51:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Will the engine be computer controlled?

"Dedicated to keeping the classic Pontiac engine alive."

----
400 bored +.030, forged TRW pistons, ported 62 heads, Hedman headers, 2.5 SS dual exhaust X Pypes, Comp 276AH10 cam, Scorpion 1.65 RR, 850 Q-jet, stock intake & tuned HEI; original owner.
Go to Top of Page

DamnYankee
Tribal Scout

39 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2016 :  6:01:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes Bill,

One of the reasons I went with the Holley EFI. The ECU can control the timing as well.
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle

USA
4794 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2016 :  7:17:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This is an area I find a bit puzzling.

Am I correct to assume that the computer (electronic control module =ECM) will assess the engine's gasoline requirements (air fuel mixture and flow) and also coordinate the firing of the spark that must still work through a mechanical weights advance distributor? What role does the MSD play? What distributor is being used? How does it all work?

----
400 bored +.030, forged TRW pistons, ported 62 heads, Hedman headers, 2.5 SS dual exhaust X Pypes, Comp 276AH10 cam, Scorpion 1.65 RR, 850 Q-jet, stock intake & tuned HEI; original owner.

Edited by - Bill Boyle on 04 Feb 2016 7:45:16 PM
Go to Top of Page

DamnYankee
Tribal Scout

39 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2016 :  9:03:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bill, I must admit I am perplexed as well. I am using the MSD Pro Billet 8563. I do not fully understand how it works. I am following the recommendations from the engine builder and the man putting it all together in the car. Other than choosing the EFI system, the ignition choice was the most difficult task for me, which is why I am going off their recommendations. There is a possibility the spark control is solely for future options, but it was my understanding we are going to let the EFI ECU run the show for the timing. I will keep you posted as we move along, and my apologies for not being able to answer your questions. I am used to points and carbs!
Go to Top of Page

DamnYankee
Tribal Scout

39 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2016 :  9:12:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bill, I just answered my own questions, as well as yours I think. In order the let the ECU control the spark, you lock out the mechanical advance on the distributor to allow the ECU set he curve/
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle

USA
4794 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2016 :  10:02:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm tying to think it out but it remains confusing to me.

----
Go to Top of Page

DamnYankee
Tribal Scout

39 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2016 :  9:27:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, as it turns out, I ordered the wrong dizzy. I need the GM style small cap distributor to be computer controlled. The MSD Ready-To-Run unit is needed to allow me to change the timing with the EFI ECU.......... I guess I am early on the learning curve! More to follow.
Go to Top of Page

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7215 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2016 :  11:02:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How does the rotor advance inside the cap to follow the programmed curve?

Bowties are for Pee-wee Herman. "Chevy": even the name sounds cheap, but not as cheap as your Pontiac will be with an LS transplant.
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Ye Olde Webmaster

844 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2016 :  07:00:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"How does the rotor advance inside the cap to follow the programmed curve?" --Phil

Excellent question!

Go to Top of Page

DamnYankee
Tribal Scout

39 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2016 :  10:07:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The ECU has adjustable timing maps with spark advance values for all combinations of engine speed and engine load. The computer will send a signal to the ignition coil at the indicated time in the timing map in order to fire the spark plug.
Go to Top of Page

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7215 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2016 :  1:38:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Then that would be a distributorless ignition.

If a distributor has its advance unit locked out, the rotor basically becomes fixed to the shaft. So in that case it doesn't matter when a computer is trying to fire a spark plug because it will only fire when the rotor gets to the terminal in the cap. This will be a "constant" and depend only upon how much initial advance has been put in by human hands.

Bowties are for Pee-wee Herman. "Chevy": even the name sounds cheap, but not as cheap as your Pontiac will be with an LS transplant.

Edited by - Phil on 10 Feb 2016 1:43:05 PM
Go to Top of Page

DamnYankee
Tribal Scout

39 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2016 :  3:24:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes indeed. I am old school used to Qjets and points ignition, learning lots.
Go to Top of Page

DamnYankee
Tribal Scout

39 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2016 :  6:09:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is a short vid on the after fire up.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6T3ra43r0zY&sns=em

Go to Top of Page

Blued and Painted
Chief PONTIAC

USA
3405 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2016 :  12:05:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds good. Like the test stand mufflers.

Bull Nose Formula/ 461/ Q-Jet/
TH400/ 3.08 8.5 / R44TS.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: