Distributor Recommendation
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DamnYankee
Two Feathers

39 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2016 :  11:53:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I plan on running EFI on my 400/461 build and plan on running the timing from the EFI ECU. Does anyone have any recommendations for a computer controlled electronic distributor? For that matter, any specific system?

Thanks

mike389
Big Trees

USA
597 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2018 :  1:26:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was going to post dist. recommendations when i saw your post which is surprising no one responded to you, but this is a slow time of year for our hobby ! i want info on best Hei brand to replace my Mallory Unilite which is 16 yrs. old, with no problems so far ! expect module to crap out in near future & are very expensive so putting that cost towards new Hei might be best !! Hope we both get a response !!
Go to Top of Page

Lee
Sitting Bull

171 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2018 :  03:25:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lee's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Both FAST and Holley offer Dual-Sync distributors for their systems. I've now installed 3 FAST efi systems with their distributor, and they connect directly to the wiring harness. GREAT system. The ecu will use both the throttle body AND the timing to make the idle extra-smooth.

The first two FAST systems I installed were EZ 2.0 systems. One on a SBC and the other on a 455 Pontiac. Both run excellent, start instantly, and the 455 owner reported getting over 17mph (OD transmission) on a long highway trip.

I just installed the FAST XFI Sportsman system on my own 455. This system is a few hundred bucks more than the EZ systems, but it gives me WAY more control over the tune. I should have it on the dyno soon. The EZ 2.0 is the better choice for most people, but I love tinkering and playing around with the tuning variables - this system gives me a few thousand different points that I can individually tune!

I'm supposed to help with a Holley Sniper system later this week, and may be installing a Holley Terminator as well. No experience with those at the moment, though.

CURRENT: '73 T/A clone, starting to get less boring!...
67 Firebird (sold) 11.27 @ 119.6 Feb. '05 issue HPP
69 Falcon wagon, 10.51 @ 130mph Feb. '10 issue PHR (sold)
72 Cutlass Convertible, first car, owned since '82, now with a 6.0 LS, mild, putting just under 400 hp/tq to the wheels.
www.LNLPD.com
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5443 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2018 :  09:26:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've been curious about the sniper for my 56 327 daily driver. I like that it has the A/C on detection wire for idle bump up, that you can get it gold colored like a carb, the pricepoint is nice, and the cheap model can work with the distributor if you want, or without. I haven't looked at FAST in awhile, i'm sure they have the same features and pricepoint now. At a grand for the basics, it's coming down to the point where it makes sense for a lot of builds. however, i feel until it's a grand or 750 bucks all in, pumps, tanks, and all, then they're going to be the exception rather than the rule, since a lot of guys are jumping right from old SBC to LS and skipping the upgrades like EFI.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: