New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lucas
Cochise

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2016 :  4:14:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a strange question that I guess I have never really thought about. The rod bearing tabs are usually facing up when the motor is upside down during assembly or disassembly. Does it really matter where the tabs face on the rod, meaning facing into the crank or facing out away from the crank? I have always installed them facing up or out but just a question I was curious what the answer would be. I can't really see why it would matter as long as the pistons are installed in the proper orientation. Thanks

"wildfire"
Real pontiac power

profour
Tribal Scout

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2016 :  08:06:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The bearings are making a continuous circle, and as long as the can't move it won't matter.
Go to Top of Page

profour
Tribal Scout

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2016 :  12:06:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The bearings are making a continuous circle, and as long as the can't move it won't matter.
Go to Top of Page

BearGFR
Bear

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2016 :  10:06:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit BearGFR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm having trouble visualizing what you mean. Just be aware that there is a "left" and "right" side to the rod bearings. One side will have a chamfer that's supposed to be installed facing towards the fillet where the rod journal meets the counterweight. (Towards the 'outside' of the journal). If you get them reversed, they'll tend to bind up on the crank and may even lock it up completely.

Bear
Go to Top of Page

Lucas
Cochise

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2016 :  01:15:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I build all my motors for my race cars and street cars. I have always installed the rods with the bearing tags facing up as the engine is upside down on the stand but just wondered if it really mattered about the tag orientation. I even googled it and couldn't come up with anything. Just a strange question I was curious about. Thanks Guys.

"wildfire"
Real pontiac power
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: