Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Cowpatty69
Sitting Bull

USA
137 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2016 :  5:17:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[/URL]

OK- so for 30 days or so, graduations,confirmations, track and lacrosse meets, I finally get back to the ride. Nothing much new to share except I'm kicking myself in the backside that I waited 30 days to do 20 minutes worth of work. We left a month ago without being able to shut the hood. 20 minutes later, we were on the road. Geez-

Got Poncho?
Go to Top of Page

Cowpatty69
Sitting Bull

USA
137 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2016 :  5:20:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[/URL]
Benjamin checking the lugs and adding last honeycomb on passenger front. Interior door panels to complete interior, lower front valence, gotta get a license plate bracket, exhaust, headlights and turn signals and we're in business!

Got Poncho?
Go to Top of Page

Cowpatty69
Sitting Bull

USA
137 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2016 :  5:21:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
oh, and it wouldn't hurt if I put the overflow jug back on either..

Got Poncho?
Go to Top of Page

Blued and Painted
Chief PONTIAC

USA
3405 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2016 :  12:45:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Over flow is mandated at the track.

Bull Nose Formula/ 461/ Q-Jet/
TH400/ 3.08 8.5 / R44TS.
Go to Top of Page

Cowpatty69
Sitting Bull

USA
137 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2016 :  5:15:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It was "Go to work and show them the bird" day- first shake down cruise. Temp stayed 200ish (40 mile round trip), but my volt meter would spike at 18+ from time to time. Thinking regulator may be questionable- hope to test this weekend or next week. Exhaust is on order, as is the replacement parking light housings and license plate bracket. Transmission has been flushed with a new filter installed. New sending unit also on order. Remember when this stuff all was in stock at your local auto parts store??
I also pick up a shimmy in the front at different speeds, but didn't on the return trip..hmm
[/URL]

[/URL]

Got Poncho?
Go to Top of Page

Cowpatty69
Sitting Bull

USA
137 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2016 :  9:36:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So, indeed the alternator was toast. Benjamin picked up and installed the new one and problem solved! All while I'm at Daniel's lacrosse tournament. Actually took the bird to the championship game (we lost..) and all went well!

Got Poncho?
Go to Top of Page

Cowpatty69
Sitting Bull

USA
137 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2016 :  9:21:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So, new fuel tank, fuel pump and fuel sending unit and rubber lines, we are back up and running.
New parking light cases came in, and with modification, fit the valance. Removed the nose for multiple reasons, but swapped it out for a nicer '70 beak.
[/URL]

Notice the custom shovel handle hood prop. I ordered light weight springs because the hood is fiberglass- but think I need the originals back in. Any advice?

Got Poncho?
Go to Top of Page

Cowpatty69
Sitting Bull

USA
137 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2016 :  9:29:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The drivers side of the nose looks to have been hit/smashed a little sometime in its life. Really noticed after we got it on. My other nose was straight, but had many more cracks. Not sure if this is repairable? Probably will Craigslist it.

[/URL]

[/URL]

Got Poncho?
Go to Top of Page

Cowpatty69
Sitting Bull

USA
137 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2016 :  9:32:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Was able to pick up a '70 and '72 nose last week- both better than what I had. Going with the '70. Benjamin got the brackets, lights, etc swapped over to the '70 nose- hopefully on tomorrow.
[/URL]

Got Poncho?
Go to Top of Page

Cowpatty69
Sitting Bull

USA
137 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2016 :  9:36:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's the shot of the nose collection (minus 1).
[/URL]

Need the cat-back exhaust installed. I can't seem to find the original single muffler exhaust- ordered off Ebay, but they had to cancel. Merlin Muffler says they can.

Got Poncho?
Go to Top of Page

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7215 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2016 :  10:11:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
More noses than Groucho Marx!

Bowties are for Pee-wee Herman. "Chevy": even the name sounds cheap, but not as cheap as your Pontiac will be with an LS transplant.
Go to Top of Page

Cowpatty69
Sitting Bull

USA
137 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2016 :  10:52:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nose job complete! Added the valance- all new bulbs, and the license plate bracket + plate.
[/URL]

Got Poncho?
Go to Top of Page

Cowpatty69
Sitting Bull

USA
137 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2016 :  11:00:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also added the interior door panels, so the interior is complete.
[/URL]

We hope to have the headlights and turnsignals working this weeked-

Got Poncho?
Go to Top of Page

Cowpatty69
Sitting Bull

USA
137 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2016 :  11:10:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Though this car also shares our time now that Grandpa (dad) is back in town. 1923 Model T speedster
[/URL]

[/URL]

That was my winter workspace for Frankenbird- but she's home now

Got Poncho?
Go to Top of Page

Cowpatty69
Sitting Bull

USA
137 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2016 :  9:44:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Finally got the exhaust done- had to use Merlins. I think the days of having the single exhaust back to the muffler, then split into separate tail pipes are numbered. Couldn't find the muffler and Merlins finally found one- and had to special make the tail pipes. I have the extenders from Pypes. This is how they look through the rust hole!

[/URL]

Got Poncho?
Go to Top of Page

Cowpatty69
Sitting Bull

USA
137 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2016 :  9:47:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's the look from behind. They aren't perfect, but not bad. As long as it lasts until I have a Pontiac 400 t drop in it..3-5 years!

[/URL]

Got Poncho?
Go to Top of Page

Cowpatty69
Sitting Bull

USA
137 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2016 :  9:51:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Found the window trim, cleaned up and painted. Hopefully install tomorrow.

[/URL]

Got Poncho?
Go to Top of Page

Cowpatty69
Sitting Bull

USA
137 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2016 :  10:04:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just gotta say, we are having so much fun with this car! I think we will delay the paint for at least a year- it is so awesome to be able to just jump in this thing any time, any place, not have to worry about door dings, bird poop, the high school parking lot, etc..
We'll keep on tweaking but will change the focus to the '79 and '67, and will start new posts on them as well and update this one as we go!

Got Poncho?
Go to Top of Page

Cowpatty69
Sitting Bull

USA
137 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2016 :  10:31:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[/URL]

[/URL]

New shocks front and back- all installed by Benjamin! The fronts were a total PIA, and there's like nothing on the forums and Youtube for second gen front shocks! Had them too tight on top and they bottomed out and bent the bottom a little, but straightened out and all was good. Test drive tomorrow with the new rears- which were "a piece of cake" (Benjamin)

Got Poncho?
Go to Top of Page

Blued and Painted
Chief PONTIAC

USA
3405 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2016 :  10:49:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Knock down that bondo then shoot with Black Primer.

Bull Nose Formula/ 461/ Q-Jet/
TH400/ 3.08 8.5 / R44TS.

Edited by - Blued and Painted on 14 Jul 2016 10:52:57 PM
Go to Top of Page

Cowpatty69
Sitting Bull

USA
137 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2016 :  4:40:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Little embarrassing, but the set of "front" shocks I had Benjamin install were actually rear. I was thinking the rear shocks had the single eyelet on the bottom like the first gen. What I get for not looking first. I even modified them to make them work. Then when the "rear" shocks came in, they were identical to the rears I had on the front. Rode like $hit!! Ordered new fronts and Benjamin got them on- and is good at it! He's ready to replace the shocks on the 79 now-!

Got Poncho?
Go to Top of Page

Cowpatty69
Sitting Bull

USA
137 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2016 :  8:50:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Little update on the Frankenbird-lots done this 4 day weekend, and finally decent weather!
[/URL]

I was working on my 79 doing touch up (different post), but worked with Benjamin on swapping out the Edelbrock 1406 that needs rebuilt for another I picked up cheap that was "road ready"- right. Also picked up these louvers at the TA nationals in Dayton- really fit the car's personality!

Got Poncho?
Go to Top of Page

Cowpatty69
Sitting Bull

USA
137 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2016 :  8:54:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So the "new" carb works, but the electric choke is jacked up. No big deal, runs well, just a little challenge keeping it running first thing.
Here's Benjamin replacing plugs, wires, cap and rotor. Happened to be looking for a set of lugs to loan a buddy that bought new snowflakes, and ran across a brand new box of 8 of the R45TS- Score!
[/URL]

Got Poncho?
Go to Top of Page

Cowpatty69
Sitting Bull

USA
137 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2016 :  8:57:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also installed the 70 hood release, got the turn signals working (yea!! what a PIA, separate post) and put the grills in.
[/URL]
and Bird nose emblem (Old roach that fit the build)
[/URL]

Got Poncho?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.27 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: