Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

NOTROD
Buffalo

USA
64 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2016 :  10:13:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
CB Performance programmable ignition controller

It's almost impossible to achieve the advance curve you want with mechanical timing advance. If you change one aspect of your curve you inevitably change another aspect of it that you didn't intend to. There always seemed to be give and take in trying to tune my distributor. If your weights and/or pins are wore (like mine) you might as well not even try to tune it.
This is super easy to install and easy to use. On an HEI you basically cut one wire at the distributor, wire the Blackbox leads in between that wire, lock out your advance and send a switched 12 volts to the controller.....done. It works awesome! It also has a pressure sensor that can monitor the vacuum signal so that vac advance can be replicated or you can use your existing vac canister. Reasonably priced as well.

Gary

Bill Boyle
Horse Feathers (Charter Member)

USA
4797 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2016 :  08:20:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'd like to see the wiring diagram on this using a basic OEM HEI. Preventing any movement inside an HEI is easy to do, just like pulling the module, which this Black Box doesn't use. The wiring and the programing, that's what I'd like to review.

"Dedicated to keeping the classic Pontiac engine alive."

----
400 bored +.030, forged TRW pistons, ported 62 heads, Hedman headers, 2.5 SS dual exhaust X Pypes, Comp 276AH10 cam, Scorpion 1.65 RR, 850 Q-jet, stock intake & tuned HEI; original owner.
Go to Top of Page

NOTROD
Buffalo

USA
64 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2016 :  11:10:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For an HEI application this actually does use the existing module. If I remember correctly the wire that is spliced into is the brown one going from the module output to the coil. Seeing how it is wired, my guess is that it acts as a "spark delay" device, but don't quote me on that. Programming is done on a basic 21x21 spark table. It even has a built in rev limiter you can set. I don't think they have the instructions available online, but I think you can download the software and play with it. I'll work on some screenshots. - Gary
Go to Top of Page

67drake
Sitting Duck

Azerbaijan
1501 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2016 :  08:11:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How do you adjust the curve?

71' GTO Original 400 M20 3.23 posi
13.95@102.1 MPH on street tires
Go to Top of Page

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7222 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2016 :  11:29:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I looked into similar products years ago. Seemed like a great way to dial in the timing curve for each combo. I'd be interested in seeing more info posted as well since the technology has hopefully evolved even further over the years.

Bowties are for Pee-wee Herman. "Chevy": even the name sounds cheap, but not as cheap as your Pontiac will be with an LS transplant.
Go to Top of Page

NOTROD
Buffalo

USA
64 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2016 :  10:30:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I seem to have misplaced the CD that came with the controller and you guessed it.....the wiring instructions are on it. I've been busy this week, but I'll try get something for you guys to look at this weekend. Installation is pretty straight forward, but I want to make sure that info I'm passing along is correct. Sorry to leave you guys hanging on this. I'm working on it!!
Go to Top of Page

Blued and Painted
Chief PONTIAC

USA
3409 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2016 :  11:39:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks!

Bull Nose Formula/ 461/ Q-Jet/
TH400/ 3.08 8.5 / R44TS.
Go to Top of Page

NOTROD
Buffalo

USA
64 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2016 :  10:34:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
on Flickr

Dashboard
on Flickr

Example main setup page for RPM and vacuum signal parameters
on Flickr

Example spark table
on Flickr

I used Excel to setup my curve and then transferred the values into the spark table. It's easier to see what's going on in the table when you format it to change colors as the values get higher or lower rather than getting cross-eyed staring at a table full of numbers. LOL
on Flickr

There are other wiring diagrams as well, but the one I have posted will work for HEI or points. With this wiring setup the controller is wired in between the HEI module output (or points) and the negative side of the coil.
The others are for MSD style mag trigger distributors and for connecting to ignition systems using a spark intensifier such MSD 6AL, etc.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: