New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

NOTROD
Buffalo

USA
64 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2016 :  8:45:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Me and a buddy are planning a county car cruise for sometime in June. We plan to start from a predetermined location, cruise a specified route and then park for a car show in a small town. We're going to have music playing and a community group from the town will serve food. We need some ideas on things for people to do while we're parked and having the show. Games, contests, etc. For example, "crankshaft toss", have people throw a crank similar to the hammer throw event at track and field meets. Just simple stuff. Any ideas?

Bill Boyle
Horse Feathers (Charter Member)

USA
4794 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2016 :  08:27:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A DJ playing music. Line dance instruction. People's choice car award for Best Custom, Best Paint, Best Interior, Most Stunning engine bay. Best Low Rider, Top Rat Rod. This gets attendees involved in the show. Music with DJ is a must though.

"Dedicated to keeping the classic Pontiac engine alive."

----
400 bored +.030, forged TRW pistons, ported 62 heads, Hedman headers, 2.5 SS dual exhaust X Pypes, Comp 276AH10 cam, Scorpion 1.65 RR, 850 Q-jet, stock intake & tuned HEI; original owner.

Edited by - Bill Boyle on 14 Jan 2016 08:28:28 AM
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5335 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2016 :  09:24:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Something for kids and women if possible, even something small. And insurance!
Go to Top of Page

67drake
Sitting Duck

Azerbaijan
1501 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2016 :  10:53:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Crankshaft toss sounds like fun,but somebody will cut his hand,throw his back out,or knock an old lady in the head. Lawsuit waiting to happen these days.
Serve beer,lots of people will attend.

71' GTO Original 400 M20 3.23 posi
13.95@102.1 MPH on street tires
Go to Top of Page

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7215 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2016 :  07:47:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Crankshaft toss? Better make it a 301 crank.

Bowties are for Pee-wee Herman. "Chevy": even the name sounds cheap, but not as cheap as your Pontiac will be with an LS transplant.
Go to Top of Page

67drake
Sitting Duck

Azerbaijan
1501 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2016 :  08:28:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Phil

Well,at least it could take place in a smaller roped off area. If you did a piston throw,You'd need a baseball field.

See if you can get some local parts stores to donate gift certificates. Jegs and Summitt always donate to my local shows too,hit them up. You can sell (or GIVE to everybody that shows up with a car) raffle tickets to win the prizes. My kids love winning cheap junk like they give away at the shows/cruise ins.

Go to Top of Page

Bentwings
Tribal Scout

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2016 :  10:24:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I belong to two cruise groups. Typically we meet for breakfast then about 10:00 am we go on a cruise. The "wagon master" is fantastic at choosing places to visit. Barn stuff collections, car collectors, hotrod shops, you name it we've been there. We take back roads, essentially the long way to get someplace. We have gone 100 miles just to visit a rod shop not 5 miles from the breakfast. Some of us have gone 200 miles or more just to visit an out of town car show or go cruising with an out of town club.

Typically the " wagon master" will have a map or directions. We also use CB radios to keep in contact if we get separated. 30 cars can be a hand full if each driver doesn't maintain distance. We try to stay together but sometimes stop lights cause us to get split up. You have to be careful about " hotrod ding to catch up as the cops still take a dim view of " excessive acceleration etc. if we get split up the front runners just pull over safely and wail for the tail Enders. Most of us are old farts and have had our days at the track so even though some of us have really fast cars, we enjoy the drive without burnout and other " kid stuff". Haha

Our typical cruise is about 150 miles and with the visit it can take the better part of a day. We rarely spend more than a few hours at a show so there isn't a lot of time for much but snacks and chat.

Do make a practice run for any cruise. This will give you road and traffic info as well as projected travel time.
Go to Top of Page

67drake
Sitting Duck

Azerbaijan
1501 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2016 :  10:21:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bentwings

We try to stay together but sometimes stop lights cause us to get split up. You have to be careful about " hotrod ding to catch up as the cops still take a dim view of " excessive acceleration etc. if we get split up the front runners just pull over safely and wail for the tail Enders. Most of us are old farts and have had our days at the track so even though some of us have really fast cars, we enjoy the drive without burnout and other " kid stuff". Haha

Reminds me of an organized "cruise" I went on years ago. A local member on another website did this cruise every year,and it would end up at a local cruise spot. They go about 70 miles total.
The year I went with we were going down back roads here in WI doing no more than 45 MPH. I chomped at the bit when I joined up with them at mile 35 or so. Argh! The longest most boring hour I've ever spent in my GTO. See ya guys at the track! My mom drove faster than these guys,BTW.

Edited by - 67drake on 16 Jan 2016 10:23:59 AM
Go to Top of Page

NOTROD
Buffalo

USA
64 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2016 :  11:06:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I was thinking more like Viper V10 crank.

The route we have mapped out is just under 80 miles. I live in central Iowa and every small town has a "Main Street". Our plan is to make a loop around the county and drive down Main Street in all the incorporated towns. The town we'll end up in has a huge double wide main street that is paved from curb to curb. We can easily get cars lined up on both sides and have two rows of cars down the middle and still have room to drive on either side. Perfect spot for this.

Thanks for all the input!
Go to Top of Page

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7215 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2016 :  8:09:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL, or howabout an I-6 diesel crank from a truck? Actually that would probably be limited to a "deadlift" competition instead of a "toss".

Where is this shindig taking place?

Bowties are for Pee-wee Herman. "Chevy": even the name sounds cheap, but not as cheap as your Pontiac will be with an LS transplant.
Go to Top of Page

NOTROD
Buffalo

USA
64 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2016 :  11:21:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

LOL, or howabout an I-6 diesel crank from a truck? Actually that would probably be limited to a "deadlift" competition instead of a "toss".

Where is this shindig taking place?

Grundy County, Iowa...about an hour northeast of Des Moines. We drove our planned route this past weekend and I think it's going to be good.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: