Routing positive battery cable and ignition wire
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

TPM
Tribal Scout

27 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2016 :  8:17:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I recently installed new ram air style exhaust manifolds (rare) on my 65 GTO TriPower. I would like to re-route the positive battery cable and starter wires - the tube that was used with the stock log manifolds (between the head and manifold) is not going to work well with the new ram air manifolds. Now I know I can buy a longer battery cable that was used in later year gto's with factory ram air, and I can re-route the wires from the front of the engine and down along the oil pan - but how can I secure the wires? The horizontal RA/HO tube/shield that bolts to the motor mount looks like a hassle to install? Are there any special clips/fasteners that anyone has used? Maybe clips that can attach to the oil pan bolts or something like that??

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5338 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2016 :  8:34:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have used generic connectors on 2 oil pan bolts to run it along there when i had RA manifolds. I'm sure someone can show how they did it factory? maybe different tube?
Go to Top of Page

TPM
Tribal Scout

27 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2016 :  8:36:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would love to see pictures if anyone has done this....
Go to Top of Page

TPM
Tribal Scout

27 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2016 :  10:28:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anyone used a particular type of clip or fastener that has worked well?
Go to Top of Page

tjs44
Cochise

USA
413 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2016 :  1:16:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
RAs had the ing wire going forward on the drivers side of the engine,down the front of the block and through a tube by the motor mounts with the pos battery cable.It used a diff engine harness.You might post this on PY for someone to post a pic for you if no one here has it.Tom
Go to Top of Page

TPM
Tribal Scout

27 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2016 :  4:30:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I have seen the tube that attaches to the motor mount but that requires removing the mount and drilling holes....I was hoping someone could suggest an alternative solution that would be a bit easier
Go to Top of Page

ThreeDeuce
Tribal Scout

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2016 :  9:56:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm installing a pair of the ram air restoration D port "ram air" manifolds on my '66 GTO with the ceramic coating after reading about the hot start problems. I'm going to try and use some of the clips used for the '68-77 valve cover wire retainers that bolt to the valve cover bolts, should bolt to oil pan bolts as they're the same size and use heavy duty tie wraps to secure the battery cable to those. Ames Part#N223HK.
Go to Top of Page

Blued and Painted
Chief PONTIAC

USA
3409 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2016 :  11:30:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Make a jumper from the S terminal to the battery post on the starter, then move everything except the big battery cable to a ford solenoid on the inner fender well. Run the battery cable from solenoid, past the P/S pump, past the engine mount and too the starter. Top right corner of pic. Plastic tie straps wont take the heat.

Bull Nose Formula/ 461/ Q-Jet/
TH400/ 3.08 8.5 / R44TS.

Edited by - Blued and Painted on 30 Nov 2016 11:40:47 PM
Go to Top of Page

TPM
Tribal Scout

27 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2016 :  7:02:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Guys. I ended up buying and installing the tube that bolts to the motor mount...seems to be working fine so far.
Go to Top of Page

frankie
Buffalo

USA
62 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2016 :  11:31:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I too use the Ford solenoid with a mini starter. no issue at all now with hot start

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: