Executive Orders to restrict firearm purchases
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bill Boyle
Horse Feathers (Charter Member)

USA
4795 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2016 :  12:31:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't know where this is going, but it's something that will further divide our country. More on this as more information is provided....

"Dedicated to keeping the classic Pontiac engine alive."

----
400 bored +.030, forged TRW pistons, ported 62 heads, Hedman headers, 2.5 SS dual exhaust X Pypes, Comp 276AH10 cam, Scorpion 1.65 RR, 850 Q-jet, stock intake & tuned HEI; original owner.

tjs44
Cochise

USA
412 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2016 :  12:47:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like this action really has to do with who is a dealer!If a dealer they must do back ground checks.Tom
Go to Top of Page

Cobrabill
Talking Dog

Aruba
3128 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2016 :  10:45:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nope-this is for all of us.that piece of crap Muslim is violating the 2nd amendment.

Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle
Horse Feathers (Charter Member)

USA
4795 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2016 :  12:01:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
First off no sane human being wants chaos and lawlessness. People want to be safe in their homes, their cars, in the park, at the grocers, in church, fishing on the pier, standing in a field...you get the point.

With a population exceeding 320 million in the US today, there has to be at least that number of firearms in the hands of law abiding americans. A small number of law breakers, socio-paths, psychopaths, and other with some kind of mental issue also own firearms.

From my experience, I have personally acquired firearms several ways. My first rifle, for example was given to me by my dad. I was with him when he bought it for me. At that time, circa 1960, department stores sold fishing equipment and guns and ammo. As I recall there was no requirement for "dad" to make the purchase. There was no waiting time, no information gathering, nothing. The firearm was purchased for me. I was 12.

Later, in my 20s I acquired several more firearms, through private acquisition. The transaction was of private personal property. There was no bill of sale, no showing of age, driver's license...nothing.

Later in my 30s I acquired two guns at public gun shows. Cash was the only requirement in making the purchase complete.

Also during my late 30s, I applied for a Federal Firearms License. It was active for several years and I allowed it to expire. It was never renewed. During that licensing period, several guns were purchased for others and sold to them. The license rules required gathering and retention of basic information about the purchaser. The FFL holder was required to retain the information provided on the purchaser for possible inspection. There was no requirement of the transaction being reported to ATF or the Treasury Department. Local police were not required to be notified about the sale and purchase.

Move ahead through the '90s , 2000, 2010 and today. No gun acquisitions by me during his period. My only experience with buying firearms came when my son wanted to make a purchase of a rifle. In Florida, a retailer (FFL holder) completes the sale after conducting a phone check with NICS (FBI)* which is some kind of background assessment. If the okay is given, the sale can't be completed for a number of days. The waiting period seems to vary depending on the county. Once the waiting period is up, the sale/purchase is finalized.

Again there is no requirement, as far as I know, that information provided to the FFL holder must be tendered to any government agency, state of federal.

As for private sales, those between a purchaser and subsequent purchaser, there is no federal law requiring registration, notifying any federal or state agency or law enforcement of the private transaction. Firearms can be sold, traded or bartered for.

What I understand is our President wants to somehow mandate a more comprehensive background check on new or used purchasers made from FFL holders, those in the business of selling firearms.

Implementing a more thorough background check is problematical. What is the extent of the background check made by agents of the federal government? What is the criteria that will be the threshold for denying or approving an applicant's purchase? If the background check comes up with a "negative" will the applicant have a means of challenging it administratively? Will there be a report generated? Will the applicant have access to it? Even if the criteria was clear, and a bright line rule set, think about the manpower required to check all those criteria. Will it be like the extensive background checks for security clearances in the Federal government? You know, secret and top secret clearance back ground checks? Those, in my own experience take months to complete.

Should the President attempt to control private sells between people in general, that would clearly, IMO, violate one's private and constitutional rights. No one should have restrictions placed on the sale of what they legitimately own. There are only a few property items that require licensing and registration. Think what they are. Okay...vehicles, vessels and planes, come to mind. None of them prevent the sale. They can all be purchased by good people, lunatics, nut jobs, religious zealots, and "evil doers." The sale goes on.

Gang members and others who want to hide gun ownership make their buys in secret. I can't imagine them going into Bass Pro and going though the normal transactional process, can you? Can you see a band of head bangers attending a local gun show to make firearm buys? I sure can't.

There is a lot more to comment about, but until the President's EO comes out, this is up in the air for me. His position is presently untenable.

All I can say is that I've owned firearms since I'm 12 and want to continue having the right to make legitimate purchases, whether at a retailer holding a FFL or at a gun show where a private transaction can occur. I also want the right to sell them or gift them to others--without restriction or limitation.

Local law enforcement need not know what I own or possess, nor should there be a record in the hands of any federal agency.

I'll bet that 99% of all law abiding gun owners feel the same way.
-----------
* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Instant_Criminal_Background_Check_System

"Dedicated to keeping the classic Pontiac engine alive."

----
400 bored +.030, forged TRW pistons, ported 62 heads, Hedman headers, 2.5 SS dual exhaust X Pypes, Comp 276AH10 cam, Scorpion 1.65 RR, 850 Q-jet, stock intake & tuned HEI; original owner.

Edited by - Bill Boyle on 06 Jan 2016 12:07:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

Sparafucile
Sitting Bull

158 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2016 :  7:22:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
But tell us what you really think Cobra.

Spara
Go to Top of Page

Cobrabill
Talking Dog

Aruba
3128 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2016 :  08:54:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not enough bandwidth. ;0

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly