Bondo brand body filler
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

beertracker
Cochise

350 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2015 :  2:32:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The link below talks about Bondo being hydroscopic due to talc in the mix. How ever it doesn't state if this is true for cured bondo? Any ideas?

This is a issue when you patch a small rust through hole and there isn't metal backing.

http://www.secondchancegarage.com/public/555.cfm

Edited by - beertracker on 03 Dec 2015 11:48:32 PM

GtoGuy32
Cochise

USA
842 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2015 :  10:17:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like a 2 point failure. Body filler should never be used to fill holes in the first place.

Evercoat and Eastwood make a lot better products as well.
Go to Top of Page

beertracker
Cochise

350 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2015 :  11:42:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought my question about Bondo being hydroscopic was direct and to the point? Being told body filler should never be used to fill holes in the first place & Evercoat and Eastwood make better products doesn't help me with my hydroscopic question.

I will look else where for a answer to my question. I don't have unlimited funds for a mig welded patch panel job ergo I will use body filler on my car.

Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle
Horse Feathers (Charter Member)

USA
4797 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2015 :  07:00:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's hygroscopic--absorbs moisture.

Beertracker did you read any of my hole filling issues described in my TA project, part 1?

I had enlarged small holes that were rusted and used a product called Muggyweld, that is Super Alloy #1, to fill them. Afterwards, body filler was applied over the metal in skim coats to get it smooth.

This was a process used to avoid having to spend lots of money on a mig welder and then try as a novice to fill holes with metal without distorting the sheet metal--something I didn't want to do.

"Dedicated to keeping the classic Pontiac engine alive."

----
400 bored +.030, forged TRW pistons, ported 62 heads, Hedman headers, 2.5 SS dual exhaust X Pypes, Comp 276AH10 cam, Scorpion 1.65 RR, 850 Q-jet, stock intake & tuned HEI; original owner.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.5 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: