New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7215 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2015 :  7:26:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've looked for replacements but have only found the 350 emblems. Does anyone know of a supplier for these? If not, I'm wondering if any of the other (earlier) 400 emblems would work but I'm not sure if they are angled upward as is needed for the fenders.

Bowties are for Pee-wee Herman. "Chevy": even the name sounds cheap, but not as cheap as your Pontiac will be with an LS transplant.

rkellerjr
Many Feathers

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2015 :  11:39:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The only places I know Phil are National Parts Depot and Ames Performance. Ames specializes on Pontiacs but I know NPD has a lot of those.

Rich
1975 TA - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aR86YT69yeY
Go to Top of Page

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7215 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2016 :  1:02:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just scored a set of nos emblems in gm boxes for a 70 bird. These are very close to the 74's from what I can tell except the 74's may be a little "rounder" regarding the "00"'s in "400".

But given the scarcity of the 74 Esprit 400 cars (and we're not even sure they all had fender emblems in the first place) there really aren't examples around to compare. At least none to date with crystal clear photos. So if I can't find actual 74 emblems by the time the car is out of paint, these will go on until (if/when) I find a set for 74 or a reproduction is made.

Bowties are for Pee-wee Herman. "Chevy": even the name sounds cheap, but not as cheap as your Pontiac will be with an LS transplant.
Go to Top of Page

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7215 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2016 :  10:55:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, sort of a good news/bad news thing: I finally figured out the 70 400 emblems are not the same as the 74's. Then I discovered how rare and difficult the 74 400 emblems are to find. It seems these only came on the select few 74 Esprits with the optional 400. However, as luck and persistence would have it, an NOS set in GM boxes finally showed up on ebay and I quickly bought them. Test fit perfectly in the factory fender holes and look 100% correct from what I have been able to find in photos of the original Rockford 74 Esprit.

The bad: I wanted this thing painted so I could be driving it this summer but instead I am still searching for a shop to complete the body & paint work. It would seem that many of the shops who work on older cars watch a lot of Barrett Jackson and Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance shows and think every job is a million dollar Ferrari. This, despite my insistence on wanting an OEM/driver quality job.

So the search continues and each week I get a little closer to purchasing a tig and a good spray gun...

Edited by - Phil on 06 Jun 2016 3:08:36 PM
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5335 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2016 :  2:38:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Especially a driver, paint it yourself. It's not hard to do, and you can fix most runs, etc before clear. I was always afraid of paint, my father in law showed me how to sand and spray, and we knocked out some amazing projects, my first times. There's a great facebook group, classic paint and body or something, where you can get 100 opinions on how to do something, but no matter what you're thinking, someone has done it and has advice.
Go to Top of Page

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7215 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2016 :  3:09:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Cort, I'll check that out. Hopefully asking paint and body questions isn't like discussing cams.

Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5335 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2016 :  5:57:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh it is, but the difference is, no matter what recipe you follow, it works and looks great. It's just what's easier, or cheaper, or whatnot. If it's a solid color, try single stage acrylic enamel, and then 2-2 coats of clear right over when you're spraying. The clear will have extra UV protection, SS is easy to spray as a beginner and is a tough coating, and is fairly cheap even for good paint. The clear also gives you something to wet sand and buff without worying about burning through the clear. and if you sand into the color some ina small spot (but not through)? No problem! SS is made to be able to do that. I have done several projects that way in the last couple years, the truck and small stuff here and there.

Not worth it for metallic though, if you wait too long you can't scuff metallic to make the clear stick, or make repairs. Better to use BC/CC.
Go to Top of Page

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7215 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2016 :  8:24:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah it's metallic so it looks like I'm using BC/CC.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: