Baseball slide breaks leg
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bill Boyle
Horse Feathers (Charter Member)

USA
4794 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2015 :  08:30:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The other night while watching the Mets v. Dodgers post season game, Dodger 2nd baseman, slid late into second upending the Mets SS resulting in a fracture to the SS's leg.

What galls me is the slide itself. It was directed at the infielder and was late, not in direct line to second base and was more of a tackle than anything. When I saw it, my reaction was that it was wrong, clearly wrong. This is my position despite being a loyal Dodgers fan since my days growing up in NY, where Pee Wee Reese, Duke Snide, Roy Campanella and Jackie Robinson became stars. Wrong is wrong! I also grew up with the early Mets and Casey Stengel.

Today, I see that Utley has been suspended for two games during post season play.

It is my opinion that baseball needs to change the rules for sliding into second base requiring the runner to slide at the base, to begin the slide well before the base and that the backside of the bag is the fielder's safe zone.

"Dedicated to keeping the classic Pontiac engine alive."

----
400 bored +.030, forged TRW pistons, ported 62 heads, Hedman headers, 2.5 SS dual exhaust X Pypes, Comp 276AH10 cam, Scorpion 1.65 RR, 850 Q-jet, stock intake & tuned HEI; original owner.

67drake
Sitting Duck

Azerbaijan
1501 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2015 :  09:09:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There already is a rule,but open to interpretation.-
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neighborhood_play

Problem is guys do take out slides all the time,but now that somebody gets hurt they decide to sit him 2 games. If they do this,they should be consistent about it.

71' GTO Original 400 M20 3.23 posi
13.95@102.1 MPH on street tires
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle
Horse Feathers (Charter Member)

USA
4794 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2015 :  09:50:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Drake--I agree they need to be consistent about it. BB should never allow this type of slide at all. I've played a lot of baseball when I was a kid all the way into college. Not only is this type of slide dangerous to the infielder it's dangerous for the runner. I've been hit more than once going into second with the ball and spiked a few times as well. (We used metal spikes back then. Also ruined a brand new pair of spikes when the SS caught my shoe and tore through the leather.)

There will be a slew of 2nd base slides that will be used to say, "it was okay then, why now" kind of arguments. The thing is, at some point, ringing the bell has to be made so the rule can be amended to eliminate such slides and properly and fairly be enforced across the leagues.

Bill

"Dedicated to keeping the classic Pontiac engine alive."

----
400 bored +.030, forged TRW pistons, ported 62 heads, Hedman headers, 2.5 SS dual exhaust X Pypes, Comp 276AH10 cam, Scorpion 1.65 RR, 850 Q-jet, stock intake & tuned HEI; original owner.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: